The Passing of a Kiltie

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My God..my Brother Lothar is gone. I was the first Mello the Sr. Kilties had, and can take pride in saying that I helped recruit Joel into the Sr. Corps back in the spring of 93 to become the second Mello in the Sr.Corps.

I had just spoken to Lothar last week on the phone to wish him and the Sr. Kilties well at DCA. Lothar recently moved to Racine earlier this Summer, approx. 2 miles down the road from me.

We were to hook up after Monday so he could tell me all about the 05 Scranton trip. Now, I guess I'll still hook up with him, but not in the same sense as before.

Now,their is only JC, and myself still left around from the 93 Sr.Kilties Mello line.

J.C., I was looking tonite at the pic of the three of us taken together by Pat Reilly up in So.Mil right before the 94 Show. I also found several more pics I have that include yourself,Lothar,and myself. I am sure I will see you this week. I will bring them then.

R.I.P. Lothar..I see you sometime down the road,

Rick Hoefert

:( Joel "Lothar" Magnuson, mellophone with the Kilties, passed away this evening either on the way to, or at the hospital, after falling during the beginning of the show. The Kilties returned to the field to re-start the show, not sure of his condition. Joel mentioned to one of his fellow mellophones earlier today that he was not feeling well.

Our prayers are with Joel and his family.

Lothar was a charter member of the Kilties when they formed as a Sr corps in 1993, staying in the corps every year....very rarely...if ever....missing a performance.....

He marched with the Jr Kilties and Blue Stars when he did jr corps

excellent musician.....really a nice guy.......worked as a chef at Amelia's Resturant in Milwaukee.....

I'm not sure of his age exactly but he was in his mid 40's

he is really going to be missed.........

RIP  Lothar  :(

Edited by MING THE MERCILESS

Many incredibly tense and upsetting moments when he went down during the Kilties performance this evening. To echo someone's earlier statement - thank you Kilties for coming back on the field. I don't know how you made it through your show, but the stadium was seeping with emotion from the moment you reentered the stadium. Thank you for allowing us the privilege of witnessing that performance.

My God..my Brother Lothar is gone. I was the first Mello the Sr. Kilties had, and can take pride in saying that I helped recruit Joel into the Sr. Corps back in the spring of 93 to become the second Mello in the Sr.Corps.

I had just spoken to Lothar last week on the phone to wish him and the Sr. Kilties well at DCA. Lothar recently moved to Racine earlier this Summer, approx. 2 miles down the road from me.

We were to hook up after Monday so he could tell me all about the 05 Scranton trip. Now, I guess I'll still hook up with him, but not in the same sense as before.

Now,their is only JC, and myself still left around from the 93 Sr.Kilties Mello line.

J.C., I was looking tonite at the pic of the three of us taken together by Pat Reilly up in So.Mil right before the 94 Show. I also found several more pics I have that include yourself,Lothar,and myself. I am sure I will see you this week. I will bring them then.

R.I.P. Lothar..I see you sometime down the road,

Rick Hoefert

Dear Rick Hoeffert and the entire Drum Corps Community,

I can't even begin to express my gut sadness over this tragedy. My husband J.C.,

called at 8:45 (or so) CST and informed me of this most sad news. All my Kiltie family is in Scranton right now except for me. I don't usually venture out there because it is my elderly mother's b-day this weekend.

Joel "Lother" was a wonderful friend and a committed "Kiltie Brother" from the beginning in '93. He always had a smile for everyone and was always happy.

Maresh-Meredith Funeral home contacted me 30 minutes after John called. They are extemely saddened by this news as well. They... (Tom Jr, Joe, Jim & Duke) knew Joel well and were as shocked as much of the rest of us when the call came in from the Scranton hospital. We will miss Joel very, very, much.

I just do not know what else to say. I cannot type through the tears anymore.

Good Night and God Bless the Drum Corps Community during this sad weekend.

Mrs (JC) Lisa Caspers

Please let Joel's untimely passing serve as a reminder to us all how fragile life is. We shouldn't waste a moment of our time here on earth with negative thoughts or deeds - savor every moment and experience in a positive way!

I learned my lesson on May 4, 2004 in a most unfortunate way. I truly pray that it won't take my kind of experience (or Joel's - God FORBID!) for the rest of us.

My heartfelt condolences go out to the friends and family of Joel, as well as to the entire Kiltie brotherhood/sisterhood for their terrible loss.

With Sadness,

Michael Terry (the elder)

Since the rest of the Thunderbird family is in Scranton right now and we are not, we would like to send our thoughts and prayers to the family of Joel and to the Kilties as well.

Tom and I didn't know Joel but we were going to drive down just for prelims, before gas went sky high, to get the chance to see the Kilties. Heads up guys. He will be looking down on you always.

Tom and Shelly Davenport and all the Erie Thunderbird Alumni.

On behalf of the Northstar Youth Organization, Dutch Boy Drum Corps and the Northstar Alumni Association, please accept our most sincere sympathies to both Joel's immediate family and the Kiltie Drum Corps.

Rest In Peace our drum corps brother. :angel: