The Passing of a Kiltie

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear Rick Hoeffert and the entire Drum Corps Community,

I can't even begin to express my gut sadness over this tragedy. My husband J.C.,

called at 8:45 (or so) CST and informed me of this most sad news. All my Kiltie family is in Scranton right now except for me. I don't usually venture out there because it is my elderly mother's b-day this weekend.

Joel "Lother" was a wonderful friend and a committed "Kiltie Brother" from the beginning in '93. He always had a smile for everyone and was always happy.

Maresh-Meredith Funeral home contacted me 30 minutes after John called. They are extemely saddened by this news as well. They... (Tom Jr, Joe, Jim & Duke) knew Joel well and were as shocked as much of the rest of us when the call came in from the Scranton hospital. We will miss Joel very, very, much.

I just do not know what else to say. I cannot type through the tears anymore.

Good Night and God Bless the Drum Corps Community during this sad weekend.

Mrs (JC) Lisa Caspers

Lisa...

John Hoekstra here. It was quite a shock to check for scores and see the Headline of Joel passing. I know we all have said that when our time came, it should be doing the thing we love.

Joel was fortunate to have passed on the "field",in Full Uniform,"True" to the Passion of our lives. I salute my fallen Kiltie brother,and will remember his sense of humor and love of the game.

I would like to hear the Kilties play "Slow Syne",on the field tonight, in a salute to Joel, who passed on the field of "Excellence".

Maybe DCA could allow this tribute....

See if JC can make it happen.

Talk later.

John Hoekstra

Kilties DM...65th anniv.

From myself and on behalf the other members of the Imperials, our sincere sympathy goes out to the Kilties and to Joel's family.

Kris

Baritone

Pembroke Imperials D&BC of the South Shore

Prayers from Cincinnati for Lothar, his family and loved ones, and his Kiltie family. Please know that you're being thought of from every corner of this drum corps planet, literally, for your heartbreaking loss, and for the extreme courage it took for the corps to take the field again afterward.

God Bless You All. :whistle:

My thoughts and prayers go out to Joel Lothar's family, freinds and the Kilties organization.

The entire Drum Corps community is saddened and in mourning today at the passing of a brother.

Dear Rick Hoeffert and the entire Drum Corps Community,

I can't even begin to express my gut sadness over this tragedy. My husband J.C.,

called at 8:45 (or so) CST and informed me of this most sad news. All my Kiltie family is in Scranton right now except for me. I don't usually venture out there because it is my elderly mother's b-day this weekend.

Joel "Lother" was a wonderful friend and a committed "Kiltie Brother" from the beginning in '93. He always had a smile for everyone and was always happy.

Maresh-Meredith Funeral home contacted me 30 minutes after John called. They are extemely saddened by this news as well. They... (Tom Jr, Joe, Jim & Duke) knew Joel well and were as shocked as much of the rest of us when the call came in from the Scranton hospital. We will miss Joel very, very, much.

I just do not know what else to say. I cannot type through the tears anymore.

Good Night and God Bless the Drum Corps Community during this sad weekend.

Mrs (JC) Lisa Caspers

From another one who was there last night, my condolences to the entire Kiltie Organization and also to Joel's family. Thanks for coming back and doing the show, I know that took everything you had to do, I saw it in every face on the field. Also, kudos to Carolina Gold's drum majors, they saluted Joel as the ambulance passed on the way out of the stadium.

I was shocked to check for scores last night and discovered this great loss. I had hopes that this would be the year the Kilties made finals. But yet this year has been one of great trial for them. With the loss of the equipment truck .And now one of the charter members. I march with lothar last year and would have agin this year if it hadn't been for my job. I love drum corps and it was hard not being there this year. My thoughts all day yesterday were with the Kilties.I truely hope DCA let them play slow Syne as a tribute to this fallen member. If some one could also keep us informed to the funeral arrangements . This would be helpful thanks. PS anyone going to finals please stop by the booth and contribute to the corp as expenses have been extreme this year. Thanks

I had a couple of chances to talk with Lothar last year when I considered marching with the Kilts. A real class act, very kind man.

May the road rise to meet you.

May the wind always be at your back.

The sun shine warm upon your face.

The rain fall soft upon your fields,

and until we meet again.

May God hold you in the hollow of his hand.

God Bless you, John, and may your journey home be peaceful. :(