Official DCA Open Class Finals Discussion Thread

George

Call me a "younge pharte", but why on earth would they penalize you for trooping the stands?

trooping isn't aloud at finals because it delays the oncoming corps from getting setup. the penalty is a shame, Bush really laid it down and had an incredible season and should have been in second. if they were instructed to exit the wrong way then something should certainly be done about it, but like Garry said, that mystery official needs to come forward, or there is nothing that can be done.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats Bucs, on a great season.

As for Bush it is a shame that a show that good came in third due to a silly mistake. But in the end they know that their show was cleaner and better played that that of Empire and so they should be darn proud of what they did. In my mind Empire is sitting third where their show belonged in the first place. As for the penalty isn’t 1 point a little rough especially since there should have been an official somewhere on the field to direct the corps in the right direction.

Overall DCA really botched this finals weekend and hopefully will learn from their mistakes. Congrats to all the corps who put down and laid it all on the line. It was one of the best shows I have ever been to.

As for DCA on big boo for not having medical personnel on the field where they were needed and another big boo for not providing corps with proper direction leaving the field.

A special note to the Kilties, you are all in my thoughts and prayers. My deepest condolences.

Actually - I was wondering why there's an award for best contra section but no other section is represented.  Anyone know?

As Scott "Mitch" Mitchell would say...

Contras! Without them, you sound NAKED!!!

^0^

Word from a reliable source in Scranton says that Bush was instructed by an unknown DCA official to go right. IMO, the official should own up to it and the penalty should be rescinded. The corps was complying with a direction by an official.

Garry

This is not true. There were no DCA officials anywhere near our low brass as they took that now infamous right turn. We screwed up, plain and simple.

Jeff Mitchell, Bush Program Consultant

There's even an award for Best Contra line!  So why isn't there an award for "Best Third Baritone Section"???

Why not one for Best Maraca Shaker?

So, have any problems with any of the rest of the awards, or is it just the Contra line trophy??

(shakes head)

I voted for the squirrel anyway...

Why not one for Best Maraca Shaker?

So, have any problems with any of the rest of the awards, or is it just the Contra line trophy??

(shakes head)

I voted for the squirrel anyway...

Since you asked, even if it was rhetorical........

I personally have a problem with a lot of the awards !!!! I especially have a problem with the best contra award, for several reasons. First off, since 2003, not all corps are playing contras. Some are playing tubas !!!! Where is the best "Tuba" section award? And who decides the winner anyway? I don't see it anywhere on the backs of the sheets. Please tell me where I can find the set of criteria that defines the award. Is it in box 4 or 5, because I must have missed it !!!!

In my opinion, I think we should get rid of almost all of the awards, including GE.

Here are the caption awards I would like to see:

- High Brass

- High Percussion

- High Colorguard

- High Marching

And then the scores and placements. (Including any penalties)

We can all read the recaps on line the next day !!!!

Screw the best drum major award, screw the soloist award. (Which, if we're being honest, should really be called the best Soprano Soloist award - because they never give it to a Mello, Bari or Contra/Tuba player. Then again, what if the corps is using trumpets and not sopranos? Perhaps then it should be called the best trumpet/sorprano soloist. Either way, screw that award too !!) Screw the showmanship award. Screw the pit ensemble award. And Yes, screw the best Contra Section award. I just think there are way too many frigan awards. There is no need to have an award for every caption and sub-caption on the sheets.

It stems from our society's incessant need to make everyone feel all warm and fuzzy about themselves - like giving participation awards to little leaguers who finish in last place. There are winners and there are losers. That is life.

This is my own opinion, I am in no way representing the other members of my corps or anyone involved with the Bushwackers. And this is not at all directed at the Renegades. I thought you guys were great. Your hornline was awesome, including your contra section!

Total disrespect for any of the corps ...what were they thinking?