soloists on the front sideline.

My thoughts on this are::::::

There are some very good players out there that either have to sit out during the year and NOT march because they cannot commit to a leghty rehearsal schedule or they have to find a corps that will let the stand on the sidelines.

I think it should be left up to the corps staff and let the fans decide if they like it or not.

Edited by camel lips

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I rarely post anything but this topic really got my attention. I am not "anit-soloist" I have played solo's in DCA, and I agree with stepping out to solo. Whether it be to the sideline, or a "staged" part of the field for recognition. However, IMHO if you want to play the solo, you should have to march a spot. I'm not impressed with anyone who stands on the sideline all show and then squeaks a few high notes. If you march 3 tunes and then part my hair with a solo, then I'm impressed. And I think it's an insult to the quality players in that section that ARE marching to bring someone else in. I know if I was learning a solo and someone told me there was going to be a "guest star" to play it I would be furious. The hard working MARCHING MEMBERS deserve to be recognized by having these solo's. I understand there are physical conditions that can keep you from marching, I have had a friend in that situation in the past. But in these cases, that member should be in the pit and playing the WHOLE SHOW. Not just solo's and big hits. It you can't march because of a scheduling issue, then do just like everyone else does with that promlem, DON'T MARCH. I'm not saying that if you can't march you should stop performing, I'm saying Drum and Bugle Corps is a marching activity and should be left that way. If you want to stand still and play, then go to a activity that encourages that.

My statements are my personal views only and are not the views of any Corps I am affialited with.

Did you see any of the show they were talking about?

It has been mentioned. The High Fiving pointing to the crowd ,Playing Rock paper Game while on the sideline

I haven't seen any of the shows because there were none in the mid-west, but I've seen enough senior corps to know what you're talking about. With the non-marching soloists doing that, then the director should have made it clear to them what thier job was. If they want to horse around, then they should have been put into the drill.

I rarely post anything but this topic really got my attention. I am not "anit-soloist" I have played solo's in DCA, and I agree with stepping out to solo. Whether it be to the sideline, or a "staged" part of the field for recognition. However, IMHO if you want to play the solo, you should have to march a spot. I'm not impressed with anyone who stands on the sideline all show and then squeaks a few high notes. If you march 3 tunes and then part my hair with a solo, then I'm impressed. And I think it's an insult to the quality players in that section that ARE marching to bring someone else in. I know if I was learning a solo and someone told me there was going to be a "guest star" to play it I would be furious. The hard working MARCHING MEMBERS deserve to be recognized by having these solo's. I understand there are physical conditions that can keep you from marching, I have had a friend in that situation in the past. But in these cases, that member should be in the pit and playing the WHOLE SHOW. Not just solo's and big hits. It you can't march because of a scheduling issue, then do just like everyone else does with that promlem, DON'T MARCH.  I'm not saying that if you can't march you should stop performing, I'm saying Drum and Bugle Corps is a marching activity and should be left that way. If you want to stand still and play, then go to a activity that encourages that.

My statements are my personal views only and are not the views of any Corps I am affialited with.

Well said!

I rarely post anything but this topic really got my attention. I am not "anit-soloist" I have played solo's in DCA, and I agree with stepping out to solo. Whether it be to the sideline, or a "staged" part of the field for recognition. However, IMHO if you want to play the solo, you should have to march a spot. I'm not impressed with anyone who stands on the sideline all show and then squeaks a few high notes. If you march 3 tunes and then part my hair with a solo, then I'm impressed. And I think it's an insult to the quality players in that section that ARE marching to bring someone else in. I know if I was learning a solo and someone told me there was going to be a "guest star" to play it I would be furious. The hard working MARCHING MEMBERS deserve to be recognized by having these solo's. I understand there are physical conditions that can keep you from marching, I have had a friend in that situation in the past. But in these cases, that member should be in the pit and playing the WHOLE SHOW. Not just solo's and big hits. It you can't march because of a scheduling issue, then do just like everyone else does with that promlem, DON'T MARCH.  I'm not saying that if you can't march you should stop performing, I'm saying Drum and Bugle Corps is a marching activity and should be left that way. If you want to stand still and play, then go to a activity that encourages that.

I also agree.

OK  I have to add my 2 cents to this one too !!!!!!!       

I love listening to great horn players as much as the next person, but the activity is a MARCHING activity and I for one would never want to just stand in the front................I feel that would be letting the rest of my corps down and besides I think I've done ok marching and playing.

As a soloist, I never felt I should be doing anything any different than the other members.

I LOVE CURT!!!!!!! He Is My Hero!!!!!

And Gordito... the Bari Line gets to Play your Low A from now on!

I haven't seen any of the shows because there were none in the mid-west, but I've seen enough senior corps to know what you're talking about.  With the non-marching soloists doing that, then the director should have made it clear to them what thier job was.  If they want to horse around, then they should have been put into the drill.

well having actually SEEN the shows, i think the director did tell them their jobs, and they did it well.