soloists on the front sideline.

well having actually SEEN the shows, i think the director did tell them their jobs, and they did it well.

Well you have to understand that the two biggest egos in drum corps are snare drummers and soprano soloists. Perhaps the heads of these soloists are so wide and heavy they cannot march on the field and have to stay on the sidelines!

(Tongue in cheek!!!!!!!)

:P

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The guys from Minnesota were dynamite. Richie , Joey and Screech were great as well....

But I marched and played all the drill when I was the soloist at Empire. At least they could have thrown them a few drill sets to make it look correct.

Donny

I agree with D.A. I am a Sop soloist. I firmly believe that soloists should march at least a few sets. (unless there are extenuating circumstances)

I was at Jimmy Russo's house in Fairlawn, NJ and he showed me a video from '76 Cabs. I was amazed to see that every sop soloist marked time in place while playing solo's. That was the rule back then. Now that's "old school."

Play your solo and then jump back in line. Don't take the easy way out.

thanks Steve, i always like being called a clown, tho for you, mr clown is how you should address me.

and if this is such a ####### issue to people, propose a rule change

You want to really impress TRUE drum corps fans????????????  March a show and and pop off the high notes.  Now that is impressive.

I'll take Hunter Moss from CV for $500 Alex.

However, IMHO if you want to play the solo, you should have to march a spot. I'm not impressed with anyone who stands on the sideline all show and then squeaks a few high notes. If you march 3 tunes and then part my hair with a solo, then I'm impressed.

I'll take Hunter Moss from CV for $600 Alex.

I disagree with you!!!  This has been going on for quite some time and up until the past month it wasn't a problem.  The beauty od DCA is that very good players can participate....think about this, some of these people were marching in drum corps before you were ever thought of and now MAYBE they can't physically march so why put them out to pasture?  Let them still participate.  This post IS SO WRONG!!!!!

I agree except there should be pit baritones too!!!!!!!!!Tom S