DCP Official ESPN2 DCI Broadcast Reaction Thread

In Canada and in the US's "hockey hotbeds", lots of people played hockey when they were younger, so they can relate to the game alot more, and therefore hockey is more important to the people there than anywhere else in the US. And love of hockey has nothing to do with appreciating how much work it takes to learn to skate, stickhandle, pass, or shoot.

But what of those people who didn't grow up with hockey, or in our case, with drum corps? Isn't a level of education important? I want to like cricket, after a trip to London, but I have no idea what's going on. Same with rugby. Yet these sports are huge in certain areas, indicating that the appeal is there. So as we try to draw people into our activity, it is also important that we inform them of our activity, so that they understand the activity they are watching.

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's probably because people don't think that the marching activity is demanding at all. Unfortunatly due to the fact that drum corps and marching band have a long history of being thought of as "dorky" and "wimpy" by the general modern public, they have a lot of BS to wade through before people will be attracted to it... because I think once people realize that it is in fact, one of the most physically demanding activities on the planet, they will be more attracted to it. The general public wants "MANLY" sports.

I would need all my hands, toes, and every other appendage to count the number of times I've tried to tell a football fan how demanding it is, and they say "no it isn't" or they nod as if to say "you're full of @#*$"

You have to remember that most bands aren't competitive level bands. If you were to combine the top "corps-style" bands and the top "show" bands, they would be outnumbered by the bands that march about 20 charts the entire show and carry their music in a holder. That is the image that most people see when they think of marching band.

But what of those people who didn't grow up with hockey, or in our case, with drum corps? Isn't a level of education important? I want to like cricket, after a trip to London, but I have no idea what's going on. Same with rugby. Yet these sports are huge in certain areas, indicating that the appeal is there. So as we try to draw people into our activity, it is also important that we inform them of our activity, so that they understand the activity they are watching.

A level of education, yes. But a level. As opposed to THE level. I feel like that level of educating the TV audience was the only level, or the main level anyway. Let the people watch drum corps! Let them see and hear how intense and loud and emotional and musical and fun it is! Give them the answers to some frequently asked questions as you go along, but not for too long before you show them some more of what might have initiated the asking of questions, which is drum corps!!

As far as how much educating is necessary, well, compare it to rugby. If a rugby player/fan were to explain rugby to an American, he might say "it's like football, but... ", and use something the person is already familiar with to compare it to. Of course if they both don't know about American football, then you can't do that. But I'm pretty sure that both DCI and "Joe Six-pack" are familiar with marching bands, and so you could make a "it's like marching band, but... " comparison to show the differences.

But that can't be what pretty much the entire TV show is about, nor can it be all about how difficult drum corps is. To me, it was, and that's what I had a problem with.

Let the people watch drum corps! Let them see and hear how intense and loud and emotional and musical and fun it is!

I totally agree. But I'd rather have them watching with their butt in a seat at a show, or buying the DVDs with their awesome quality. The former is best, but even the DVDs give a much better image of our activity than broadcast television. I guess that's why I'm comfortable with seeing only half a show on ESPN, knowing that we'd rather have new fans going to shows, or even out there marching.

A level of education, yes. But a level. As opposed to THE level. I feel like that level of educating the TV audience was the only level, or the main level anyway. Let the people watch drum corps! Let them see and hear how intense and loud and emotional and musical and fun it is! Give them the answers to some frequently asked questions as you go along, but not for too long before you show them some more of what might have initiated the asking of questions, which is drum corps!!

As far as how much educating is necessary, well, compare it to rugby. If a rugby player/fan were to explain rugby to an American, he might say "it's like football, but... ", and use something the person is already familiar with to compare it to. Of course if they both don't know about American football, then you can't do that. But I'm pretty sure that both DCI and "Joe Six-pack" are familiar with marching bands, and so you could make a "it's like marching band, but... " comparison to show the differences.

But that can't be what pretty much the entire TV show is about, nor can it be all about how difficult drum corps is. To me, it was, and that's what I had a problem with.

Very well Said!!! :laugh:

A level of education yes.

But it's the performances, the shows that got everyone I know excited about and into the activity. They aren't going to care about the rest if you don't hook them first. THE SHOWS DO THAT!!!

I totally agree. But I'd rather have them watching with their butt in a seat at a show, or buying the DVDs with their awesome quality. The former is best, but even the DVDs give a much better image of our activity than broadcast television. I guess that's why I'm comfortable with seeing only half a show on ESPN, knowing that we'd rather have new fans going to shows, or even out there marching.

Yes, so would I.

But if you want them to buy a DVD or go to a show live, you have to give them enough of the show (more than the telecast does) to hook them so they'll want to do that!

I'd like a director to tell me they've surveyed the kids and the "stories" and not "the shows" got them excited about drum corps and made them audition.

Edited by shawn craig