DCP Official ESPN2 DCI Broadcast Reaction Thread

Given the last two years, that's not hard.

Man....a farting contest would beat the NHL right now!!! :P

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man....a farting contest would beat the NHL right now!!!   :P

Ask a Canadian... Drum Corps on top, but NHL is better than the NFL or NBA! :P

Edited by DrumCorpsMom

http://www.dci.org/news/news.cfm?news_id=4...88-c0eb812ff899

I am amazed at these stats -- better than NHL games, wow...

No big deal. Heck the World Tiddly Winks Competition would draw more than NHL reasons. Hockey simply isn't all that popular. I don't know why, I love it, but most don't care for it. Stadiums are half empty. Where did the players think mgt was going to get the money?

Anyway, it's great to see that so many watched drum corps.

I think it's embrassing to say the show was a ratings bonaza. Beating the NHL which ESPN didn't renew or wimbeldon which no one watches until the finals is like saying we finished second in a 2 man race. I know a positive spin has to be put on things but lets be realisitic. 435k is not a very big number. I wonder how it compares to cheerleading, hot dog eating, arm wrestling or rock paper sissors. RPS was like a 4 hour show.

http://www.dci.org/news/news.cfm?news_id=4...88-c0eb812ff899

I am amazed at these stats -- better than NHL games, wow...

no surprise at all. NHL numbers sucked, hence ESPN dropped them

One thing I've been wondering that I don't know if it's been brought up.

There was this one brief shot where they showed a horn line in a swimming pool..anyone know what that was all about? :blush:

Glassmen's hornline used to do that once or twice during the season, either in a pool or in a lake. The idea is that it's harder to produce a continuous stream of air when your horn is in the water as opposed to in the air. If you can get a steady stream of bubbles while blowing air through the horn or while playing, you have a good air flow.

The best part was when we played afterwards. The improvement in sound and volume was quite noticeable.

I think it's embrassing to say the show was a ratings bonaza. Beating the NHL which ESPN didn't renew or wimbeldon which no one watches until the finals is like saying we finished second in a 2 man race. I know a positive spin has to be put on things but lets be realisitic. 435k is not a very big number. I wonder how it compares to cheerleading, hot dog eating, arm wrestling or rock paper sissors. RPS was like a 4 hour show.

Oh, so I'm no one now. :D

One thing I've been wondering that I don't know if it's been brought up.

There was this one brief shot where they showed a horn line in a swimming pool..anyone know what that was all about? :blush:

That shot was from the BD documentary "11 1/2 Minutes", that was recently released (and IMHO is a great introduction to drum corps, before telling them to watch the ESPN2 broadcast).

Blue Stars were shown in the Chicago Tribune back in 1982 playing whilst standing in the water as wel.

Topic? Careful what you wish for...

Amazing!!!!!!!

435,000 viewers and people are dismissing it either because they didn't like the broadcast itself or they don't like the direction that the activity is headed in.

Here is a news flash...

If these numbers had come in with G bugles and no amps just 6 years ago people would be deliriously happy.

Here is another news flash...

DCI now has all of the proof it needs that those who don't like what they are seeng are in the minority. You will be and are being ignored.

If only 3% of those viewers go to the DCI stores and buy the dvd's, the revenue generated is almost $1.2 million.

It's a new world folks.