• 3. 1966-1971
    • 4. 1972-1976
    • 5. 1977-1981
    • 6. 1982-1986
    • 7. 1987-1991
    • 8. 1992-1996
    • 9. 1997-2002
    • 10. I saw my first show in the last 3 years

My first contest was on Aug. 2, 1988 in Cincinnati, OH. The following corps were present:

1 Santa Clara Vanguard 91.300

2 Phantom Regiment 89.600

3 Madison Scouts 88.200

4 Velvet Knights 87.600

5 Spirit of Atlanta 83.800

6 Sky Ryders 76.100

7 Freelancers 73.800

8 Florida Wave 68.400

9 Glassmen 51.700

10 Limited Edition 45.900

All in all, a very good night for my first live show. Of course I actually first became a fan of the activity after watching the 1987 videotape (which I have yet to return to my former friend -- perhaps that's why he is now my former friend?)

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1980 Finals in Birmingham. I was eight. I had to ask my Dad for money to buy new ears the next day. I couldn't believe how loud it was. I remeber loving the Bridgemen, being scared of Spirit, and fascinated by 2-7.

It was ten years later when I saw my next show. DCI South, again in BIrmingham. SCV won, Star was second and Garfield third. I remember thinking, "the Cadets will win this thing next week".

I bought my first corps T-shirt of a Cadet contra player. Still have it.

1991 in Morgantown, WV. We were there early to see Cadets practicing in the stadium. I was loving it! I'll never forget that first "impact" moment.

Also there were Bluecoats, Crossmen (great show that year--Pat Metheney), Dutch Boy, and Spirit of Atlanta.

It was also where I "signed up for the draft", so to speak.

My first contest was on Aug. 2, 1988 in Cincinnati, OH.  The following corps were present:

1 Santa Clara Vanguard  91.300 

2 Phantom Regiment  89.600 

3 Madison Scouts  88.200 

4 Velvet Knights  87.600 

5 Spirit of Atlanta  83.800 

6 Sky Ryders  76.100 

7 Freelancers  73.800 

8 Florida Wave  68.400 

9 Glassmen  51.700 

10 Limited Edition  45.900

All in all, a very good night for my first live show.  Of course I actually first became a fan of the activity after watching the 1987 videotape (which I have yet to return to my former friend -- perhaps that's why he is now my former friend?)

Wow. VK nipping at the heels of the Scouts. Little did anyone know... B)

I'm in the 5. 1977-1981 group.

When I was a kid I would ride to the dirt field where the Blue Stars would practice and watch them for hours until I had to be home for supper.

At that age I was too young to go to a show alone but my parents would drive us to Memorial Field on the night of the Blue Stars home show (Mississippi Rhapsody) and my brothers and sister and I would watch some of it through the chain link fence! When I was old enough to buy a ticket and attend a few friends and I would ride our bikes over together and they always thought it was really cool and thanked me for taking them.

Back in the day we had some amazing corps blowing the faces off of La Crosse residents. I've been hooked ever since and have been to Championships in Madison (3 times), Boston, Dallas, Buffalo + TOC at the Rose Bowl and many regional show in CA and the Midwest. (Yet never was in a corps :( )

Keep up the good work Blue Stars

1973 was my first show and it was in Lexington, Kentucky.

1 Blue Stars 82.800

2 Kilties 81.300

3 Madison Scouts 80.700

4 27th Lancers 80.200

5 Anaheim Kingsmen 79.900

6 Black Knights 76.900

7 Commodores 73.000

8 Garfield Cadets 71.600

9 Cavaliers 71.550

10 Bleu Raeders 68.950

But it was the Scout's that won me over that night.

Mike

Mine was in the 1960 to 1965 range thanks to my parents and sisters being involved. Parents in management at that time, and sisters marching.

My first show was Allentown (DCI East) in 1978.

I was actually already in a terrible little Class A corps, but we were having so much trouble getting our act together that several us decided to take the day and go to this show. (Probably my last Saturday off for 8 years.)

This was when you saw both prelims and finals in one day. We got up to leave NJ at 3:00 am and got back at about 1:00 am the next day.

Bridgemen were on early, I think right after the St. Ignatious girls, due to "problems" the year before. :P They came storming through the gates at 7:00 ish and were absolutely amazing. Saw Spirit up close and personal, BD from the front row, and Phantom and their amazing Rockford File...and every other top corps that day.

Went home, woke the family absolutely babbling about what I had seen. My sisters and I went on to march for years, and my entire family is still completely hooked.

Got to take my 2.5 year old son to prelims this year, and I was shocked at how emotional I got by sharing something that's been an important part of me for so long with him. He was mesmerized, was good as gold, and didn't want to leave. He's now asking for a horn or a drum (or a sister or a puppy...depending on the day).

Cheers!

Karen