Some random/rambling thoughts from my field-level perspective (not necessarily covering all of the corps), and other general stuff:

The Class A category has really come on strong in recent years. Some very entertaining/cool stuff going on.

LakeShoremen were kinda my "cult favorite" .... competing for the first time EVER and sounding great. Music City Legend.... wow, what a hornline. Your contras were a knockout... great sound. Chops Inc. and Govenaires... Chops won this "Battle of the Mayer Brothers"....maybe next year it'll be Govies' turn. Heat Wave... Vic, congratulations on your years of service to that organization. You guys were DCA's "Southern pioneers," and triggered the growth in the South for DCA corps.

Open Class: Frontier....welcome to DCA! Kilties were THE class act of the weekend, IMO. How they managed to nail that second performance, I'll never know. Sunrisers..... back in Open Class, a very good thing. Keep going from here, guys. Skyliners.... very impressive hornline, just need more bodies.... I'd love to see these guys back in the Top 10 someday soon. Grenadiers... once again you folks delivered the goods at Prelims. Crusaders.... welcome back!

Hurricanes.... tough winter, very good finish to the summer. CV and Gold... strong Southern representation. I agree with Jeff Ream.... I hope the Gold soloist (Jon.... I forget his last name....sorry) comes north for Westshore's alumni corps again.

Caballeros.... typical Cabs, no quit at all in 'em. And they have this tendency to follow a "down" year with a very good year. I'm thinking, watch out in '06! Minnesota Brass and Renegades..... they keep on knocking on the door. Some day one of them will kick it down. Two great corps.

Brigadiers...... still real strong, but perhaps a victim of their own success here. I think we all tend to compare any new version of the Brigs to their recent super-corps. Hats off to them for perservering this season despite the cutoff of their main funding source. That was a very, very tough break for them.

Empire Statesmen.... still America's Entertainers, no doubt about it. I hope they never change their basic philosophy.

Bushwackers.... wow...whistle-clean hornline from my downstairs seat. Sometimes sitting out "on the wings" of visual formations, I hear some dirt coming from the hornlines as the players turn the corner, etc. With Bush, nothing. No dirt whatsoever. Nada. Zip. Outstanding! Perhaps I'll try to get to their off-season dinner-dance/awards dinner, if they hold one. And if so, I take my crow with gravy, please. B)

Buccaneers... the 25-year wait is over. Great corps, and the complete package. Entertainment, sophistication, fun, intensity, you name it... they had it. Holy mackerel! And now, Jami Mills can get down to the more serious business of participating once again with the Westshoremen Alumni corps. :P

Other stuff... (of course, food will be mentioned here!) :

Cooper's Seafood in Scranton lived up to its advance billing. Terrific food and atmosphere. Marvelous Muggs never disappoints. Sweet-potato fries, baby!!!!

I&E at the stadium was a great idea. My wife Barbara and Dick Pronti did a very nice job, taking the reins from a legend (Donna Ernst-Shaefer).

No rain, no 35-degree temperatures all weekend... thank God!!!!!

I only wish we had more time to get to visit with our friends over the Labor Day weekend. But we're too busy with our jobs. I hope you all understand!

Fran

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LakeShoremen were kinda my "cult favorite" .... competing for the first time EVER and sounding great. 

Our first show out and we were already a "cult favorite", SWEET!!! Thanks Fran!

and thank you for the ugliest shirt in DCA history at prelims

Well, Adam Burdett had challenged me to a "shirt-off" at Prelims. I felt I had to answer the challenge!

Fran

Does that mean that we have to keep the Mennonite unis? That drive back to Detroit took FOREVER by buggy.

We'll get them thinking that is our style, then we'll come out of the gate screaming with Rocky Horror Picture Show, appropriate unis and all, next summer!!!

Somehow I just cannot see that happening, but it sure is fun to speculate.

i think we need photographic evidence of this shirt :P

Beleive me, any camera that would try to take snapshot of that shirt would explode instantaneously. My shirt was loud, but if it were football, Fran beat me easily by 8 or 9 touchdowns.

Adam Burdett