Famous people in Drum Corps

dcf06

Anyone ever hear of a corps called Father Finnegans? (s/p)

Father Finnegan was the truly tough moderator of St. Joseph's Cadets of Newark, NJ. A great corps in its day, (early fifties) taught by Hy Dreitzer on brass and Joe Mallen (my dad) on drums. They were truly national championship calibre, beating Vinnies, BS, Most Precious Blood (Boston) and Holy Name on many occasions; although they never did win a nationals competition.

I e-mailed Frank Vincent to ask if he marched IN St. Joe's; he never replied. It is possible that Frank Vincent travelled from Jersey City to Newark to march there.

I had a conversation with Chuck M. a long time ago....I vaguely remember him saying he marched in a drum corps when he was a youth. I could be wrong or maybe getting it mixed up with M. Ferguson who I spoke to as well. :ph34r:

Your confusion is understandable; they both look so alike!! :tongue:

Hey George,

I just recently saw the Lion King on Broadway again and Tommy is still playing there. He is also the Asst. conductor.

Yes, Bob you are correct. Last Friday night I saw Tommy Igoe perform (again) at Birdland Jazz Club in NYC. He is also the conductor of the BBB (Birdland Big Band) who plays there every Friday night from 5 til 7 PM. Then they all go and play their 8 PM Bway gigs. An outrageous band and a must-see. Tommy Igoe is truly a world-class kick-butt drummer!

Tommy Igoe is truly a world-class kick-butt drummer!

Coming from Jimmy Mallen, you could file that under the category of "takes one to know one"... Mr. Mallen a pretty famous player in his time (defined as the 20th and 21st Century), and one of a surprisingly small number of great players in Drum Corps who were also great instructors and teachers

:tongue::ph34r:

Coming from Jimmy Mallen, you could file that under the category of "takes one to know one"... Mr. Mallen a pretty famous player in his time (defined as the 20th and 21st Century), and one of a surprisingly small number of great players in Drum Corps who were also great instructors and teachers

:tongue::ph34r:

Ray,

Add adjudicator to the list. He did a fine job this past fall judging the band I arrange for in USSBA. :w00t:

Ray,

Add adjudicator to the list. He did a fine job this past fall judging the band I arrange for in USSBA. :tongue:

And both of us, Mike, have left out that he's just one of the finest human beings on the planet, drum corps or not.

Don't know about *famous*, but in the realm of gigging musicians, Mark Miller, with the '92 Cavies champs, has toured on trombone with Billy Joel, among others, as well as played in the touring company of "Movin' Out".

I'm looking for more from this thread about non-musicians who have gone on to do great things. Like, did Regis Philbin ever wield the lead pipe in St. Vinnie's? (Actually: a quick Google search turned up that he played French horn (or the equivalent, eh?) in the Cedar Rapids (Iowa) Cadets! How about that?) Actually, that may still be alleged. These turned up in a 2006 column by Michael Boo on DCI. Boo -- ever get the confirmation you sought?

:spitting:

From the column:

Peter Jennings marched in Scout House. He played lead soprano and had a solo in “Parade of the Wooden Soldiers.”

Alec Trebeck, the Canadian TV personality from “Jeopardy,” was a rudimental bass drummer in the old Michael Power Knights.

Larry Kerchner actually marched, played French Horn and wrote the music for Blue Rock, all though the 1960s. He also has stage, recording and screen credits to his name.

TV Judge Joe Brown was color guard captain of the old Wynn Center Toppers, and Judge Judy Schiendlin was color guard captain of the old Loretto Knights.

TV host Regis Philbin played French horn in the Cedar Rapids Cadets.

John Gotti and '”Sonny” Garvano were lead (what else) “Sopranos” in the old Vasella Musketeers.

Chuck Connors, an alumnus of the old OLPH Ridgemen, played in “The Rifleman” in the old 1960s TV series. He also played baseball for the Yankees.

Edited by ColtFoutz

Chuck Connors, an alumnus of the old OLPH Ridgemen, played in “The Rifleman” in the old 1960s TV series. He also played baseball for the Yankees.

and he played hoops for THE Boston Celtics !!!!

Edited by john2780