ballads you'd like to hear

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Theme from Apollo 13.

Rats, beat me to it. :D

Would "Skye Boat Song" count? I could see that (could hear it, too!).

There is a portion of Barber's "Prayers of Kierkegaard" that I don't believe any drum corps has done...that statement comes without searching corpsreps.

Opus 30: II. "Lord Jesus Christ, Who Suffered All Life Long"...there's a not-so-long clip on Amazon.com, and the clip picks up a little better on iTunes.

My high school band is actually using this in our show titled "Liturgical Contrasts" and it is goregous. And to think...I was only good for high notes. ;-)

Edited by drewbugler

I was actually introduced to this song in my "K-12 content literacy class" by a vocal ed. major. But I mean, listen to it.  (and watch the flash thing if you want :P)  Its just so moving with so much power behind it!!!

Prayer of the Children by Kurt Bestor

http://www.woodyulmer.com/prayer.html

Said that one earlier...and definitely would love to do that one....got the big impact in my head already :sshh:

For a similar effect, check out Fisher Tull's Sketches on a Tudor Psalm.  The piece twice uses those moving chords that you heard in Master and Commander.

Yeah, I'm in an ensemble that's playing that right now. Great piece, could be very effective for corps....but hardly what I'd call a ballad by drum corps standards.

If we're looking for music from the "Best of the FSU Wind Symphony; fall 2005," heh, I'd suggest a piece called "When Jesus Wept," by William Schuman. Anyone ever heard it?

Another one I just thought of; has anyone ever played "Colonial Song" by Grainger? Pretty well known....may be difficult to pull off on a football field, but the rewards could be incredible.

"Nimrod" from Enigma Variations by Elgar....gorgeous piece...definitely need a pristine brassline to pull it off.

The theme from Road to Perdition. I also like the theme from Rudy.