ballads you'd like to hear

I loved the rest of Crown's show, but the ballad bit the big one.

:wub: And what far superior ballads have you marched???

In my opinion "Angel" brought musical CONTROL and EXPRESSION to a new level for 2005. No one else even dared to attempt ANYTHING so dramatically open and exposed. I really don't think people grasp the concept of getting 24 trumpet players to express something the same way and then to be able to control it while while doing some very stretched-out movement and dance.... not to mention crying at the same time! In that situation a hornline is naked... there for the world to see and NO ONE else did that in 2005. On top of that... If it "bit the big one" I think the brass staff would have done something about it... they are pretty smart guys! Just in case you don't know who is Crown's brass staff you might want to check it out before you doubt any part of thier musical concept. I am pretty sure there are a few rings there... not to mention a hall of famer!!!

As far as great ballads go... I was all about Cadets 2005

It might not have been as expressive as Bjork or whatever but it was played perfectly in time REGARDLESS of staging. I thought that was amazing. The drum line in the back corner of the field and the hornline in the front... perfectly in time. :worthy::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

SCV 2004... Another Gino Cipriani hornline, I know! That hornline just had a beautiful sound no matter what they played.

Edited by crownsop04

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hmmmm...... i wonder if your opinion might be a little bit biased (not necessarily saying everyone else that liked their ballad was)

in my unbiased opinion (i.e, not necessarily objective), i thought the ballad was boring. at the beginning of it i was blown away by the expressiveness of it, but as it dragged on it didn't really seem to go anywhere, didn't really have an musical/emotional growth. by the end, i was occasionally glancing at my watch to see what time it was.

in short, it just bored me. i understand all the choreography and difficulty that is inherent with marching/playing/dancing at a slow tempo and in such an exposed manner - but from an audience enjoyment standpoint, it did nothing for me. take from that what you will.

so yeah, back on topic... from a personal standpoint, i'm a huge phish fan, and i'd like to see a corps play strange design or secret smile... know it'll never happen, but if it did, it would rock my face off.

Edited by TTitans909

....In that situation a hornline is naked... there for the world to see and NO ONE else did that in 2005.

:ph34r:

On top of that... If it "bit the big one" I think the brass staff would have done something about it... they are pretty smart guys! Just in case you don't know who is Crown's brass staff you might want to check it out before you doubt any part of thier musical concept. I am pretty sure there are a few rings there... not to mention a hall of famer!!!

Obviously you just jumped into the discussion on my last post, because I had previously said that they played it fine. The problem I have is WHAT they played and the pacing of it.

And yes, doing visuals while playing is difficult to line up. However, the example you cited is not any more difficult than what (probably) every other corps has done. (Just seemed like you were saying, "OMG, nobody else could ever pull this off!")

However, the example you cited is not any more difficult than what (probably) every other corps has done.  (Just seemed like you were saying, "OMG, nobody else could ever pull this off!")

Sorry... Thats not what I meant at all. I will give it up to anyone that deserves it. I think people often confuse cleanliness with easyness and it is very frustrating. I would be willing to bet that it was much, much harder than you think it may have been though... Just sayin' ! I just don't think there are any other corps anymore that would try something like that. Show the world how soft and expressive you can be...weather the song is good or not... I don't like the song, but I bet it means something to everyone of those kids whether they like the song or not. I do, however, stick by my previous statement that nobody else came even close to pulling off anything like this in 2005.

Sorry for the confusion...

that sounds much more reasonable... but i'm going to still disagree - i thought cadets' ballad was more effective - maybe not as difficult, but when you say "pulling off anything like this", i think effect, and cadets seemed to be more effective.

also, some of the body stuff was pretty dirty all the way up until finals week - i didn't see quarters or semis, but by finals it had cleaned itself up - improvement is good.

that sounds much more reasonable... but i'm going to still disagree - i thought cadets' ballad was more effective - maybe not as difficult, but when you say "pulling off anything like this", i think effect, and cadets seemed to be more effective.

I think "fun to listen to," though ... and I thought Crown's ballad fit that criteria better. Not as well as the Crossmen's ballad in '04, tho.

One more suggestion - Sam Hazo's Perthshire Majesty.

I just don't think there are any other corps anymore that would try something like that. Show the world how soft and expressive you can be...weather the song is good or not...

I do, however, stick by my previous statement that nobody else came even close to pulling off anything like this in 2005.

Doesn't almost every corps do this every year?

Just to clarify, please, do you mind explaining what it is that nobody came close to pulling off or attempting? I'm under the impression that you're referring to playing at soft dynamics and succeeding (with simultaneous visual responsibilities?), but correct me if I'm wrong. Is that what you were referring to?

(if that sounded sarcastic, its not)

(on topic)

After having played it again while having corps-style arranging in mind, I definitely think that the song I previusly mentioned, When Jesus Wept, would be extremely effective on the field. Actually, Crown's show this past year would have been a great place to put it in. Definitely had the bari section to pull it off. It seems like something that Phantom would play though, if they choose to return to a deep, dark classical style again. The current arrangement of the song actually seems well suited for corps; lots of dynamic contrast, some solos (euph, trumpet, and...a field drum, I believe? Not sure of the proper name...the solo section would have to be abbreviated a little though), and an ending that would perfectly lead into a closer afterwards. Certainly a piece worth checking out.

Edited by Jared_mello