How to save DCI!

ptr250

agreed. and when you have a crowd as dead as what I have read Boston was, it sounds like many needs weren't met

Not sure that this will support my stance or not, but the quiet crowds were not specific to Boston this year...they were quiet all over, and there are threads about that topic on DCP dating from mid-season. But what does that mean exactly? To people consider 2005 a "down" year for entertainment?

M

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think DCI needs seriously find a way to poll fans and get their true feelings and thoughts.

DCI will never do this. That would mean the would find out people's true feelings and thoughts. Instead, without such a legitimate poll they can and always will contend that opinions contrary to their visions is nothing but a mere vocal minority to be dismissed so that they can do what they think is best, even if it isn't. The closest thing was petitioning which DCI banned once they saw that minority wasn't quite as minor as they hoped it was.

I challange DCI to hand a questionaire regarding show design and recent rule changes to every ticket holder who passes through the gates as well as former fans who no longer attend shows. That is the way to guage what opinions really are and what is vocal minority is. Maybe, just maybe, it is those who agree with DCI that are the vocal minority.

I think DCI needs seriously find a way to poll fans and get their true feelings and thoughts.

For what purpose?  So they spend the resources to get a thorough understanding of their fan base and their likes and dislikes.  What will they do with that info?  Fans likes and dislikes are built upon what they have already experienced.  In 1992, people didn't know whether or not they would like Star 93...they probably didn't even realize it was a possibility.  It is the forward thinking designers that continually challenge even the fans to continually develop their taste for drum corps.  I would hate for DCI to survey fans only to find out that people want them to stop trying new things.  What would happen then?  I'm sure the information would be useful on many fronts...I just worry that "fan friendly" doesn't mean the same thing to everyone...

I think that if you polled people and even found that a vast majority does not like DCI's current direction and vision, that you would see people want to see new things tried...probably within the given rule structure. Very few want stagnation, IMO

I think the business end of DCI need be run by a combination of directors and people who have no affiliation w/any corps so there is a balance of business sense/drum corps sense

Isn't that what we have?  Is there an issue in the way DCI operates their business?  Is the DCI office full of alumni only?  Don't they have hired lawyers and accountants?  Marketing?  All done by alumni?  I would guess that much of these tasks are being done by people with no prior affiliation...someone from the DCI office care to comment on the mix of drum corps folk vs. non drum corps folk running the show?  I'm curious too...

No. Only drum corps people run the business of the drum corps stuff. The rest is to support the business aspect, not the competition aspect.

I think all corps should get a vote

Good luck getting all the directors who have 'earned' their vote to let every tom, dick and harry (pardon the crude phrase...) to dilute their votes.  And, since the focus of DCI is the D1 corps, why would they let D2/3 corps have more votes than D1?  D1 would loose control of their own destiny, which is why DCI exists in the first place.  Once again...a new D2/3 organization is needed to attend to their needs, and let DCI focus on D1 corps and their needs (which they pretty much already do).

The strong monopoly will not yeild its power because then the lose control of their vision and the path they are forging. I agree with you here.

I think DCI should do a better job at stressing to kids there are many places to march, and if you get cut at a big boy, you can still gain the experience of a lifetime

YES YES YES.  This is such an important topic.  This holds the key to the health of D2/3.  Structured systems need to be put into place to get kids who are not taken into D1 corps into the D2/3 corps.  D2/3 directors should align themselves with their closest D1 corps and run a joint audition camp.  Kids not offered a spot in the D1 corps would be offered a spot in the D2/3 corps.  At least the kids now know they have an option, and while only 1 in 5 may take it...well...when a corps fields 25 horns, those 5 kids they might pick up are a big deal.  I'm surprised this hasn't happenend yet.  The talent that walks out the door of Concord or Rosemont or Rockford each year and heads home to sit on the couch for the summer is a waste.  But this is a situation that should be handled on the local scale.  The D2/3 corps need to take the initiative to "farm" the D1 camps for members.  Why is this DCI's responsibility anyway?  If the D2/3 corps aren't jumping at the opportunity DCI shouldn't have to do it for them. 

and, while relations w/DCA are better than at anytime since...uh...ever, I think they need to stop this "drum corps ends at 21" hore####

DCI likes to pretend they are the only show in town...especially right now as the media spot light (okay...so it is currently more of a keychain flashlight...) is getting bigger and bigger.  Letting on that there is good drum crops to be had in other places isn't the message DCI wants to send right now...

Well, we are all in agreement here. How bizarre. :blush:

oh and amped vocals need to go

To each his own...I'm not a fan, but I don't hate them either.  The context is most improtant to me...

M

You know I don't like them either. Just distracts from the marvelous brass and percussion sounds.

Not sure that this will support my stance or not, but the quiet crowds were not specific to Boston this year...they were quiet all over, and there are threads about that topic on DCP dating from mid-season.  But what does that mean exactly?  To people consider 2005 a "down" year for entertainment?

M

IMO, it does.

You mean designers like Chuck Naffier, Jamey Thompson, Wayne Downey, Key Poulan, Jerry Kelsey, Colin McNutt, and who knows how many others I can't think of who ALREADY design both DCI and DCA shows?

Then why is there still a disconnect. It has been noticeable, especially the past few summers, the number of dci corps that have stepped up their design and performance levels. I still feel a disconnect between what happens on the field and what is felt in the stands. I can appreciated the demand and technical mastery as well as anyone, but why do I feel that so many shows just come across as sterile?

you guys do realize this conversation has been going on since about 1983 - right?  we just didn't have the internet back then

Only 1983???? (Someone had to say it) :P

well - when Cadets won in 1983 this big "DCI is not listening to the fans" / it's not "drum corps" anymore / stuff got more loud. Obviously when DCI first formed - it formed specifically TO SERVICE the top corps. That was its mission. DCI's approach to DIV II/III has improved dramatically in recent years (IMO) so I really feel we are heading in the right direction in many of the over riding positioning topics.