What was the Storyline of The Cadets Show?

Geneva

Now that singing, talking and drumspeak have become regular parts of drum corps shows that last couple of years, it got me to thinking about something. What would keep a drum corps from getting a famous singer to perform with their show? Someone like Charlotte Church or Ashlee Simpson or Aaron Carter(the only singers 21 and under I could think of at this time) , for example.

I am not saying this is something I would want to happen, but the way the trends are going, and now getting national attention with the ESPN broadcast, what's to keep it from becoming a little more marketable?...

As someone brought up in the thread last week (Now that Singing is Acceptable...) about that very topic, the one thing preventing it would be maybe several hundred thousand dollars or so. Also, performance dates in front of large venues of fans, and I would add that they would only be singing for a small portion of the show...anything more would sink GE like an anchor as it would cover up the contributions by the horns and drums.

You don't have to worry about drum corps turning into VH1.

Mike

PS: On Sept. 5, I had the following to say about this concern...not that I'm mocking you...

<<By the same token, what would prevent a corps from hiring an extra-terrestial being from providing a self-generated light show via lights in its head, provided we can prove the ET is less than 22 years-old? Would that be fair to corps that don't have access to their own extra-terrestial beings? And what if one of their years is two of our years? Is there any rule in place that says the under-22 years rule has to be Earth years? I tell you, this sort of thing could destroy the spirit of drum corps as we know it. I say we must say "no" to ETs performing in drum corps...especially if they put on self-generated light shows. Are you with me?>>

Edited by Michael Boo

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since we're spelling....S-O-U-R---G-R-A-P-E-S :)

Yeah, it would be "sour grapes" if I had been part of a corps that was beaten by that pile of trash.

But, I wasn't. I've appreciated Cadets when they won before, and when they tried stuff that was beyond them but weren't clean enough to win.

But, like I said, when the kids who are the focus of the show answer with a big collective "Uhhhhhhh...." when asked about the show concept, doesn't it seem a little -- well -- STUPID?

Maybe that was the idea, though. Maybe, just maybe, they rode around inside that box all summer, never were approached by the staff, never talked to the rest of the kids, all in an attempt to make their confusion on the field completely genuine. So, when you see the one in the hard hat, she really IS thinking, "What the #### am I doing out here??"

<**>

Edited by Leland

Well it's obvious, stupid to you is championship material to the judges. What's that tell ya?  Hmm.

Well, it could tell me a lot, mainly that one person didnt care for what the judges did care for, and in other cases vice versa...no ?? And there have plenty of other cases where "championship material" has gotten overlooked or dismissed in favor of things not quite so "championship material"

What's THAT tell YOU ?? Hmmm.......

~G~

Well, it could tell me a lot, mainly that one person didnt care for what the judges did care for, and in other cases vice versa...no ?? And there have plenty of other cases where "championship material" has gotten overlooked or dismissed in favor of things not quite so "championship material"

What's THAT tell YOU ?? Hmmm.......

~G~

I have no problem with people expressing their likes and dislikes. There have been shows that I didn't think should win yet they did. Nothing new there for any of us. It's referring to a show as STUPID (not once but twice) that prompted me to respond. Some opinions are better kept to one's self, no?

Yeah, it would be "sour grapes" if I had been part of a corps that was beaten by that pile of trash.

But, I wasn't.  I've appreciated Cadets when they won before, and when they tried stuff that was beyond them but weren't clean enough to win.

But, like I said, when the kids who are the focus of the show answer with a big collective "Uhhhhhhh...." when asked about the show concept, doesn't it seem a little -- well -- STUPID?

Maybe that was the idea, though.  Maybe, just maybe, they rode around inside that box all summer, never were approached by the staff, never talked to the rest of the kids, all in an attempt to make their confusion on the field completely genuine.  So, when you see the one in the hard hat, she really IS thinking, "What the #### am I doing out here??"

<**>

Well it must be comforting to know for sure that if you were unexpectedly caught on camera you would come across with the same eloquence you post here. :blush:

I'd rather give the benefit of the doubt to a kid on the spot before I give it to someone who has time to ponder what they post. Stupid to you may be lacking in words but it really can work both ways. B)

To me, the whole thing seemed like one of those WGI drumline shows that tries too hard to be deep and ends up not making any sense.

Well it must be comforting to know for sure that if you were unexpectedly caught on camera you would come across with the same eloquence you post here.  :blush:

:wub: