Underrated Brass lines

AzEuph

I'm listening to BD on my 2005 CDs right now, and I'm going to confidently restate that they were underrated. Everyone wants to talk about Yowza, but this line is smoking. I didn't much care for the show, but credit where credit is due. Wow.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GLASSMEN 1999. My favorite mellophone line/book in DCI history. Listen to the acapella section in the closer (sans percussion, in that triangle in the corner during the sabre solo) and tell me that isn't an OUTSTANDING hornline.

Seattle '04....and '03, and '02, and '01.

Cavies brass '00 > Cadets brass '00.....but it was Phantom that was the really underrated one.

Magic '03...and '98.

Glassmen '98 (another great mello line), and '94.

Agreed on Phantom '04 easily surpassing '03. Much improved.

BD '90

Star '92 (in relation to '91 and '93) ....just saw that someone else mentioned this show, too.

Madison '01

Southwind '00

Cadets '97....quality of sound may have suffered because of the nearly perpetual motion, but when you're playing one of the hardest brass books of all time and running your ##### off, I can forgive that.

Phantom '93

I forgot which Avant Garde show I had listened to ('84??), but whichever that was.....yeah.

I disagree about the King marching brass.  I honestly prefer that sound to the Yamaha and the Dynasty.  The sounds coming from the Phantom and Carolina horn lines tells me that those are quality instruments.  yes, both corps have great players, but the sound produced is very professional.  The trumpets alone sound far better to me than the Yamaha's.

Jonathan

I only came to the conclusion that Yamaha > King during finals week. Having watched Semi's 3 seats in front of the judges, King horns didn't have the same clarity and seamingly pristine sound that the Yamahas did. Without question, Yamaha horns ring some of the loudest overtones (I can send you my cavies warm-up rec's for proof B) ). All in all, I do like the sound of the King euphs, but that's where it ends. King horns at louder volumes just seemed to have a sort of stuffy distortion.

To each his own.

I would definately say Madison 00, 01, 02. 

Madison 2000 is one of the hardest horn books DCI has ever seen, does it sound amazing on the CD? no... but look what they are trying to achieve!

2000 Scouts absolutely. They had the power, the diversity, the maturity, the technique, and the book. So aggressive and yet so subtle. Funny, the beginning of the season, they were near the top in that caption...until parity set in. That line was as good as any of their lines.

~G~

Crossmen '02

Blue Knights '02

Crossmen '03

Phantom '04

Glassmen '05 *Hella Yea!*

Seattle Cascades '05

Heh, sorry Carl, but theres more than a few that I'd reeeeeally disagree with. :sshh:

Heh, sorry Carl, but theres more than a few that I'd reeeeeally disagree with.  :sshh:

What do I know? I'm in the pit! Those are just a few hornlines that I don't see getting a whole lot of love.

Haha, and for good reason.

Admittedly some of the ones that I think deserve the attention they currently get were part of fun shows, and for that reason, I can see where you're coming from. You picked some that were underrated enthusiasm and entertainment-wise....even if not necessarily so quality-wise. (I listened to BK '02 two or so days ago, and said out loud to a friend that this would make for an incredibly interesting and powerful show if they had a better hornline.) But hey, the thread didn't specify or anything, so I gotcha.

Agreed on Xmen '02, though '01 deserves some attention also. That was definitely an exciting show (led by the hornline) by all means.

If anyone starts up an "underrated pit" thread, I'll be sure to comment and inform you, and you'll most definitely have the right to correct me, heh. :)

Haha, and for good reason.

Admittedly some of the ones that I think deserve the attention they currently get were part of fun shows, and for that reason, I can see where you're coming from. You picked some that were underrated enthusiasm and entertainment-wise....even if not necessarily so quality-wise. (I listened to BK '02 two or so days ago, and said out loud to a friend that this would make for an incredibly interesting and powerful show if they had a better hornline.) But hey, the thread didn't specify or anything, so I gotcha.

Agreed on Xmen '02, though '01 deserves some attention also. That was definitely an exciting show (led by the hornline) by all means.

If anyone starts up an "underrated pit" thread, I'll be sure to comment and inform you, and you'll most definitely have the right to correct me, heh.  :)

All in good time :angry:

Edited by Carl306