SCV percussion caption heads/arrangers announced

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If the tradition of SCV is excellence, both on and off the field, I do not see how hiring someone who did not march there would effect this. Both of these men are great teachers and people. They will carry this tradition of SCV forward. They may put their own mark on that tradition, but it will not change that tradition.

After all, probably the greatest SCV years recently 97-00 were certainly not "traditional" SCV shows. In fact, if you look at the pantheon of all SCV shows, those years stand out and being completely different, yet those are the standard by which I judge all other SCV shows.

I went to HS with Mike J. and knew he a nack for writing and arranging and knew some day he would be in the big leagues but JEBUS, Holy **** this came out of Left field. Congratulations to him for landing such a huge gig. WOW!!!

Edited by Zeke

Mike Jackson is at the forefront of one of the most talented High School drumlines IN HISTORY (Mission Viejo). He is also at the forefront of the most innovative drumming and performing unit that is in WGI today (Riverside Community College).

And we all know what Mason can do.

Well done Vanguard.

Can someone explain what there is to "get" about SCV that would require alumni to form the percussion staff?

Just curious.

Edited by Maestro767

Fred started it all.  Ralph started under Fred... and took over surrounded by alums.  Your point has no merit.

As a counterargument to the position that someone who was already from "the family" should get the gig, it's nothing BUT merit. Two of the best caption heads/arrangers they've ever started somewhere else and came to Vanguard as 'outsiders'. So obviously, one doesn't have to have already been in the 'system' to succeed in Santa Clara. Good people produce good work, regardless of where they come from.

Edited by mobrien

i think it will be interesting to see what the staff looks like now...

This is great news! Great teachers produce results wherever they are. I am excited to see what Mike Jackson can bring to the drum corps field. His work speaks for itself! Check out those RCC and Mission Veijo lines. Brian Mason did fantastic work with Cavaliers and Phantom Regiment. Sounds like Vanguard is trying to break new ground again. Go SCV!