Favorite DCA Soloist

:ph34r:

Keith:

You have certainly opened a possible feeding frenzy here!

I have a few:

Big John "Grass" from the Skyliners(still plays pretty well w/ Sky Alumni)

Keith Griffin from Cabs

Frank Ponzo - Cabs/Cabs Alumni

Frank Minear, Roger Grupp, Greg Hilliard, Mike 'Porkchop' Honkanen

from MBI..and

Bea Erskine Jeager - the BEST mellophopne soloist EVER in Sr. Corps(MBI)

My apologies to the many great Bari solists who NEVER get recognized..and my main bari guy from the Govies, and Big Dan S. from the Kilties.

Pat

:ph34r:

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kurt Hawkins

Mike "Gordito" Ferriera

Adam Berger

John "Screech" Arietano

Dave Negri (Did solo work in 2001 and 2002 Sky. The man can play)

IMHO the best in competing corps is soloist Ritchie Price. I competed against him in the 70's/80's when he blew with Matadors. The one/two punch of Ritchie and Jim Centorino was unmatched by anyone. As for all-time players, 9 time soprano champ A. J. "Riggie" Laus is the man. I been fortunate for the last several years to march hext to him, as he is truly a class act. I have also been lucky enough to march next to Steel's greatest, and former Cab soloist, Curt Hawkins. The late Ed Lewis from Steel City was another trremendous soloist who never got the recognition he deserved in DCA, although he was a DCI Individual Soprano Champ in the early years.

There are many great, great soloists and former DCA soloists now playing in alumni corps. Frank Ponzo, Jeff Gibbens, Tom Davenport, etc. all are extremely noteworthy. Joey Pero also rocks.

What a super activity drum corps is, the chance to march with and compete against such giants of performance. How blessed we really are...

Edited by Sweendoc

No question...

Geneviève Danis Brigs Baritone soloist from 2001 to 2004 - she never missed or cracked a note (including practice!!!!!).

Gotta love her!

later,

Mike

Brigs 2000-2004

You've definately opened a can of worms with this one.

From my 14 years in DCA these are my favs ...

George "Sidemouth" Richardson (RIP my friend)

Genovive (Brigs Baritone) -- sorry I don't know her last name and I apparently can't spell her first name but that girl makes me cry everytime she plays

Ponzo

My sister Gina (mellophone soloist when she was with Skyliners alllllllllooooooonnnnnngggggg time ago!!! LOL) -- ok, I'm a little biast with that one!

And Jim Wise (Empire Statesmen Contra) -- so what if he only gets to do it when we play a victory gig or a parade ... he's still awesome. I'm a little biast with that one too cause I haven't heard too many Contra soloists & I march with him. He ranks right up there with Ray "Konga" Richardson -- the "Dancing Soloist" on that one. And who would have guessed ... its the same solo!

So there ya go ... at least one from every section. I'm sure no one agrees with me on most of those, but hey ... I gave my opinion.

George Del Monte from the Cabs .  He was in the corps in the 70s and was incredible.  Now, he is retired, but I had the pleasure to meet him at the Post.  I kept calling him Mr. Del Monte  :blink:

He is still my favorite soloist whether he is competing today or not....somethings are timeless !

I forgot a great bari soloist from the Cabs.....Kent Pennell......that guy made a baritone sound so sweet !!!!