Not Marching DCA After Ageing Out

so this hboyce says he saw some senior guy in the shower of a gym in NJ in 2003 taking a whiz on somebody, yet mentions later that he didn't ask the guy what senior corps he was in because he was buck naked in the shower. did it occur to you that it could've been some support staff member of any one of the many corps there? and i've heard from friends that marched a D1 battery out of PA around the early to mid 80's that they did that to each other. ON PURPOSE.......

whatever dude........ when you find yourself itching for that opportunity to perform again, c'est la vie..........

Whoa, what is up Mr. High and Mighty. Yeah it occured to me that it could have been a support staff member. You saying that people did that crap in the 80s would seem to affirm that it was a 30s-40s guy in a corps. Either way you are bringing this up as if it was a good thing.

I've been burnt out on drum corps for awhile. At this point I would rather march college marching band than senior corps. So I'm not as concerned about it as you seem to be. "Dude"

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was younger and before my "realization of mortality" my age-out year of juniors, I probably would have said a few of the things that some of the DCI people in this thread are saying. At the very least, I probably wouldn't have had as much respect for what the corps did on the field as I have come to. There are things that current junior marchers need to understand.

First, what is drum corps really about? In the end, above all else, it's about the corps and the ever-growing family that is its membership. In junior corps, you usually only see that family during the summer in addition to brief times during the winter for camps, since most junior corps members come from far-flung parts of the country. In an all-age corps, you get to interact with your fellow members much more frequently; in Frontier we have all sorts of social events and chances to get together and hang out outside of rehearsals and shows; the chances to build the family are virtually unlimited. Likewise, there are lots more chances to build performing chops outside the normal marching season. Small ensembles, mini-corps, and a lot more local performances give members a chance to expand on their musical chops within and beyond the drum corps setting. The tradeoff, of course, is that there's less rehearsal time and as a result, there just isn't the chance to get things squeaky-clean like you can in junior corps. There are also a lot of logistical issues involving transportation in all-age corps that junior corps don't have. While junior corps do have to worry about the cost of buses and trucks, it's easier for them to make sure that all members can get from point A to point B; all-age corps that don't charter buses have to deal with the difficulties of getting to shows, getting all the members together and getting equipment in hand, getting to warmup...etc.

At any rate, my point is this: the two halves of the drum corps world are different from each other, but one isn't "better" than the other. While I'd say it's obvious that the best junior corps execute better than the best senior corps, that in and of itself doesn't make those corps better environments to march in. All I can really say is, both halves require participation for you to really understand the way things are. It annoys me to see people who hate how their band directors dislike junior corps turn around and apply the same prejudices to all-age.

When I was younger and before my "realization of mortality" my age-out year of juniors, I probably would have said a few of the things that some of the DCI people in this thread are saying. At the very least, I probably wouldn't have had as much respect for what the corps did on the field as I have come to. There are things that current junior marchers need to understand.

First, what is drum corps really about? In the end, above all else, it's about the corps and the ever-growing family that is its membership. In junior corps, you usually only see that family during the summer in addition to brief times during the winter for camps, since most junior corps members come from far-flung parts of the country. In an all-age corps, you get to interact with your fellow members much more frequently; in Frontier we have all sorts of social events and chances to get together and hang out outside of rehearsals and shows; the chances to build the family are virtually unlimited. Likewise, there are lots more chances to build performing chops outside the normal marching season. Small ensembles, mini-corps, and a lot more local performances give members a chance to expand on their musical chops within and beyond the drum corps setting. The tradeoff, of course, is that there's less rehearsal time and as a result, there just isn't the chance to get things squeaky-clean like you can in junior corps. There are also a lot of logistical issues involving transportation in all-age corps that junior corps don't have. While junior corps do have to worry about the cost of buses and trucks, it's easier for them to make sure that all members can get from point A to point B; all-age corps that don't charter buses have to deal with the difficulties of getting to shows, getting all the members together and getting equipment in hand, getting to warmup...etc.

At any rate, my point is this: the two halves of the drum corps world are different from each other, but one isn't "better" than the other. While I'd say it's obvious that the best junior corps execute better than the best senior corps, that in and of itself doesn't make those corps better environments to march in. All I can really say is, both halves require participation for you to really understand the way things are. It annoys me to see people who hate how their band directors dislike junior corps turn around and apply the same prejudices to all-age.

well said

oh you will be proven wrong. DCA corps have 2 maybe 3 days to clean what a DCi corps does all week. you won't see a lot of beer breaks. you'll see members running back to sets. You'll see people drenched in sweat...in some places you may even see people doing pushups.

Everyone, allow me to offer my apologies. After a weekend away from any computer my better judgment prevailed, and I realize now that I was talking out my ###. I was speaking not from reality, but from an impression formed only after reading DCP. I've been around here too long to make a silly mistake like that, and I really should have known better. So allow me to humble myself and tell everyone who's poured themselves into DCA that I'm sorry. You deserve better than the words I spoke in this thread. Long live drum corps. :)

Now, if only there were senior corps anywhere near Indy, so I could see some of this for myself....

:laugh:

Dave:

I'm glad that you have made your statement the way you did. Having seen you around for awhile both with the Blue Stars, and this past DCA in Scranton, you have had the chance to see how the activity involves both sides of the equation. I'm sure that you must have seen MBI once or twice go through its motions on and off the field (especially in DeKalb), and now as a member of Frontier, you're getting a chance to see the other side of fence.

Apprently what negative feelings you might have had prior to your direct involvement with the older life forces, look to have been softened as you gained a better grasp of the senior side of the activity.

I hope that others will have the ability to keep an open mind about all-age corps, because it HAS been forced to change as a direct result of the changes that DCI has influenced.

I hope that you decide to come back to the great white north someday and continue to participate either with MBI, or any of our DCA-Central brothers and sisters. Best of luck in Denton.

Pat

Edited by goalieguy

Not just me but the 80% of the corps also. :lol:

:laugh:

Tough guys...Doin' the gym floors..wait till you hit 40! I don't think the floor will seem

too comfortable then.

Either that or your staff is jacking you around..I can count on ONE hand how many times I slept on a

gym floor in the years I marched, and one of those was the Fiesta Bowl trip in '89, back when I still had legs, a sleeping bag, and was under 40.

Just another rant!

Pat

:P