If it was said once it needs to be said again

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whatever you say, "friend." I refuse to get into an argument about something THAT IS A MATTER OF PERSONAL TASTE. You hated it. I loved it. Others hated it. Others loved it. End of story. What else is new around here.

There probably isn't a need to sarcastically call him "friend," considering he didn't make any personal attacks towards you.

(if he were Dane Cook, I think he'd probably return with the "no problem, BUDDY," but I could be wrong) :P

QUOTE(Maedhros @ Oct 3 2005, 03:41 PM)

However, it becomes a problem when it leads to a blinder mentality, where only one type of audience appeal is recognized.

I recognize several sorts of audience appeal, but the '02 Cavaliers (among others) don't appeal to me. Frankly, I don't think they appeal to nearly as many fans as shows like the '05 Phantom Regiment. If the corps are okay with that, though, cool. Just because I don't like something doesn't mean I don't understand it, you know. I don't like a lot of shows from the years between about '96 and '03, including all of those dreary SCV shows ... so?

I agree with you Orpheus.........

This stuff of "If you don't like something these days that you must not understand its many textures" is a bit annoying and condescending......

I have been attending drum corps shows since age 10 (1982). I watch the juniors, seniors, alumni, Div 1, Div 3.....you name it. I KNOW what I like. I have connected to many different types of shows.....

Whats nice is that so many people feel real strong about many different types of shows......its interesting.

PS Orpheus

OT a little bit but........I do disagree with you regarding the Cadets 2002. I dont think anyone would exploit the horrible events of Sept 11 for the sake of getting an edge on the competition. I sat next to a top brass staffer from BD at the Westchester PA show (In 02) and he was really in to the Cadets show..........he said they were full of life..... I thought that the 2002 Cadets were really excititng and I think a lot of folks ruined the show for themselves by worrying about what they were planning for finals night......a lot of people afterward admitted that it was NO big deal....some folks didnt even notice....

Triple Forte

I think the people that don't like the "Frameworks" show and think that it lacked emotion just may not be understanding the show.

I realize that the show doesn't have the "soundpower series" volume or the typical scripted drum corps moments that get the crowd on their feet. I do love those moments, and I think Scouts in 1995 had that in spades.

But that wasn't what 'Frameworks' was about. The show would have fallen apart if it had a those random big hits. The show wasn't about those kind of pointy texture moments. It was about fluidity and seamlessness. It was a study in the basic parts of music, all set to visuals.

I was there in Madison for finals that year. Blue Devils definitely had the rousing moments musically. Cadets had their moments (until the end when they pandered to the crowd with the 'firemen' thing-- uggh!). But the Cavaliers- watching them was like being hypnotized. When they finished I honestly thought they'd only been on the field a few minutes. I couldn't believe the whole show had passed.

I'd never been that fully engaged in a show to where I didn't snap out of it at some point and wonder what was next or if they were coming up on the end.

cb

i saw it 5 times that year. I don't need loud to be entertained. i need something i can get around emotionally. and to me, musically, it seemed like one long exercise in "look how technical we can be while totally sacrificing all emotion. Also, let's ee how many easy parts our world class battery can tick and get away with it because we wear green"

visually very well done, even with a 20 in guard when you drop a guard member.

musically..at semis i read the yearbook.

02 Cadets...

PEOPLE... Look at the show for represent and not what it was compared to other patriotic shows. It was well thought out and came across well... to me at least.

02 Cavaliers.... If you read the press realease of the show that year, it told you what each movement was about. Maybe I can find it for all you people who think this show was just pointless.

i read the press release back then. still did nothing for me.

one gimmick after another

let it be known that I highly predict you will be seeing a Frameworks kinda show for '06

Percussion was lacking that year. The pit was good as always, but the drumline was far from great. And in my opinion it had one of the most boring percussion books ever. 2000 and 2001 were both better than 2002 in my opinion.

tick and a big tick...two ticks!

let it be known that I highly predict you will be seeing a Frameworks kinda show for '06

awwww that's a shame. i hope no one would try that style for a while.

eye candy but certainly not emotional appeal to me

I don't know if Frameworks is the best show ever, but I will give it these titles

--Best Musical/Visual Integration

--Best Overall Visual Performance and Effect (not necessarily Best Book)

--Best and Most Well-Executed Concept Show

--Best Show to Show New People to Convey the Skill/Cleanliness of the Activity

--Purest Horn Sound (esp. for its time, listen to everyone else 2000-2002, it is apples and oranges my friends with regards to tone quality)

--Most Perfectly Balanced Show in term of playing to the sheets and playing to the crowd

On a side note, I am sooooo happy to hear people give Spin Cycle (03) its due. I strongly believe that time will show that to be one of the most amazing shows, well ahead of its time (on par with the other championshp shows and maybe even better than 02). It was just too difficult and too dirty and Blue was clean as...well you get the idea. But the individual accountability required for that show is second to none.

Thoughts?

Troy

Edited by stxmoose32

I did not care for Frameworks or Spin Cycle, but I actually thought that Spin Cycle was a better package than Frameworks. Frameworks intergrated the music and visual fairly well, but at times became to segmented. If you mute a show can you tell what is going on?..... Sometimes yes and sometimes no. It was kinda like a Holsinger piece, sometimes its hard just for the sake of being hard. On the other hand, with Spin Cycle, I appreciated it more cause it was definitely more thematic and had a clear distinct thought through the show that you could follow. The integration of the elements were there and the transitions seemed a lot smoother than Frameworks.

I do agree with stxmoose32 that it wasnt necessarily the best book for visual performance and effect. Also that its the best show to show skill and cleanliness. Thanks stxmoose32 for your comments.