what score is to high?

That is an over-simplistic take on the system. The GE captions are not devoid of performance considerations...what would you consider showmanship???? The sub-caption breakdown in GE is "repertoire" and "showmanship"

I was responding to the idea of another poster that it is "all about GE"...of course there are performance considerations inherent in Effect captions.

Mike

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ticks, as has been said (ad nauseum), are just as subjective as buildup. Deciding if an event was or wasn't a tick is a subjective decision, and decidiing if it warrented a group error was also subjective.

Also, we were much more confined as to what we could tick, and when. We may have heard something that sounded "off" behind us, but if we were focussed on a different section, we could not assess a tick. You have a wider 'coverage area' in the current system.

In percussion, the multitude of instruments, esp in the pit, make ticks very difficult to handle realistically. I personally find the idea horrible, and I started my judging career on ticks back in 76.

Mike

Yes, I admit that the tick system is subjective, at least in some instances. Still, it would force corps to focus more on execution, which I hear some saying is lacking these days. I favor some kind of combination where there is build up for what's done regardless of "execution," and a tick system that focuses how the individual does what the group is supposed to be doing.

Yes, I admit that the tick system is subjective, at least in some instances. Still, it would force corps to focus more on execution, which I hear some saying is lacking these days. I favor some kind of combination where there is build up for what's done regardless of "execution," and a tick system that focuses how the individual does what the group is supposed to be doing.

Well, you seem to prefer what WAS the methodology around 1980'ish, with MA/PA/VA for the "what" and ticks for the "how"....IMO ticks are not geared towards providing a full "how" in today's day and age.

"Some" say execution is lacking...these "some" say lots of stuff. Of course, only I am right. B)

Mike

There are more visual captions, hence the averaging. There are 40 points for GE and 60 for performance.

Mike

actually when yo add in the perc ensemble sheet...which is only judged at some shows...there is more music.

yet performance is still averaged.

That is an over-simplistic take on the system. The GE captions are not devoid of performance considerations...what would you consider showmanship???? The sub-caption breakdown in GE is "repertoire" and "showmanship"

3 of the performance captions might be considered pure performance (but that is still a simplistic take on the captions...WHAT they are doing is as important as HOW they are doing it). The guard caption is broken out into "composition" and "excellence", as are the two ensemble captions (I think...or something very similar).

So...in effect, EVERY caption has some component of performance that helps decide the number...some more than others (appropriately). So, to blanket a caption as "performance" or "design" does the judging system a disservice.

M

comp carries more and more weight tho, regardless of the sheet.

you can #### something out, but because of what it was, you get credit. too much credit.

basically you get rewarded for failing to achieve

actually when yo add in the perc ensemble sheet...which is only judged at some shows...there is more music.

yet performance is still averaged.

It has to be averaged...there are so many more performance captions/judges than effect...it still works out to 60 points for performance and 40 for effect.

Performance

Visual Perf

Visual Ensemble

Guard

Brass

Percussion

Music Ensemble

Ens perc (sometimes)

Effect

Visual

Music

Mike

I would say anything over 100 would be too high.

A 100.01 is too high :P

As long as we are on the subject, in 1995, the Erie Thunderbirds won the DCA Minicorps competition with a score of 100.5. In the Judges mind, we were better than perfect. I would have settled for a perfect 100. Though it is the highest score ever recorded in DCA, I do believe that it was too high.

comp carries more and more weight tho, regardless of the sheet.

you can #### something out, but because of what it was, you get credit. too much credit.

basically you get rewarded for failing to achieve

I disagree.

RE topic: Really could careless about the actual scores, but speads and if the get 1, 2, 3, 4,...etc... correct.