Santa Cavaliers Cadets

And re Cadets, jeez were some of the parts they played fast, so I thought they more than made up for the "down time" due to the drum-speak scatting they did. Try playing along with some of the roll passages they did...

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe if all the top guys would stick to just one corps and quit writing for people they don't work for there would be some opportunity.

There are thousands of bands around the country that compete...if you have the skills I would think that you could land a gig with at least one of them...I don't know you at all, so maybe you DO have such a spot, but if not, that's where I'd start. Heck, thats where I have spent most of the past 34 years as an arranger and instructor.

Plus, there are div II and III corps that might use your skills....I've seen some post adds for staff.

Mike

Bottom line, top tier instructors writing for lower six and below corps is bad for the activity.

Don't try to tell me they care as much about that program as they do their primary corps. They don't, and would be horrified if the second tier corps threatened them score-wise.

Examples of long term, successful relationships between major names and lower corps are few an far between. Much more common are one-year and two-year stints by major names ghost writing for lower corps.

Do you think that turnover is good for the activity?

It's one thing to have a major name come in to advise, it's another thing to have someone call the shots from the satellite view. Thats why businesses have CONSULTANTS. Why would you have Mike McIntosh write your book? Aren't you supposed to be COMPETING against him???

OK, I have an idea, instead of Santa Clara hiring jackson lets get Tom Aungst to write the parts but keep the old SCV staff. Now wouldn't that be Ridiculous?

Regards,

cf

it seems to have helped Spirit remain a finalist on the visual front. I dont think it hurt Star when Brubaker did Cavies too. Some of Bostons best years in a long time happened when Hannum wrote their book in addition to Star. Ok they didnt make finals, but they were a lot closer than they had been in the 80's.

turnover can be good and bad. I have seen many one hit wonders come in take over a program, and because of whatever reasons, boom they are gone...yet that doesnt help continuity either. it's catch 22. But it is not the carnal sin this guy is making it out to be.

as far as your suggestion w/Tom, hey if the old staff was for it, I say check it out...I'd love to see what Tom does away from the maroon team

as far as your suggestion w/Tom, hey if the old staff was for it, I say check it out...I'd love to see what Tom does away from the maroon team

Ever see his Dartmouth indoor ensemble? I judged them back when they were winning WGI Scholastic World...they were amazing!

Mike

if you are trying to make a living writing books for drum corps you are not very smart because you never will.

There seems to be quite a few people that do nothing other than write books for a living. Getting a good drum corps writing gig will open up all kinds of opportunities to write for college and high school bands. But, you do have to have made a name for yourself...it won't just come to you.

great thread...awesome name too

i was actually just talking about this with a friend on the way back from our indoor creative staff meeting.

this past summer i saw the cavaliers drumline and pit warmup in the lot at giants stadium. they were repping the opener and the whole time i was just astounded by the pit, i never realized how friggin awesome they were and they were going full speed nonstop for like almost the entire opener and it was perfect. when i read that casella and ancona were going to cavies and bringing over a bunch of scv people i was upset bc i remember how awesome the writing was and the exp i had watching them and i feel like when they bring in a mostly new team i dont think itll sound the same or have the same identity...bring back kuhn and johnson or hire one of their proteges from the cavaliers, im sure there are many

great thread...awesome name too

i was actually just talking about this with a friend on the way back from our indoor creative staff meeting.

this past summer i saw the cavaliers drumline and pit warmup in the lot at giants stadium. they were repping the opener and the whole time i was just astounded by the pit, i never realized how friggin awesome they were and they were going full speed nonstop for like almost the entire opener and it was perfect. when i read that casella and ancona were going to cavies and bringing over a bunch of scv people i was upset bc i remember how awesome the writing was and the exp i had watching them and i feel like when they bring in a mostly new team i dont think itll sound the same or have the same identity...bring back kuhn and johnson or hire one of their proteges from the cavaliers, im sure there are many

Sure, great pit, but did you happen to see or hear their battery? The times I saw them they had some serious issues for a top corps. IMO, Cadets, PR, and Madison all had a better battery.

Edited by oldtimedrummer