Who were the Innovators?

... They came back with a vengeance in 81 however to win. Hmmmm.....................could history repeat itself?? :)

No. Next year ends with the number 6 meaning Blue Devils will win. B)

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did Santa Clara in 1981 really do the first asymmetrical drill?

what was the highest note hit during a sop solo?

Please add your own as they come to mind.

This should be a great list of who did what.

As mentioned it was 80 for SCV, but Bridgemen did a rotating and axis moving form in 78, and without dragging out the DVD I'm pretty sure 27 did too.

Highest note, Chris Metzger, end of Bond Street n 74. Neighbourhood dogs always barked.

Regards,

John Swartz

I believe the year in question for SCV's asymetrical drill was 1980, not 81. That was also the year they did"The Planets" with the pseudo "moonwalk". Really cool effect at the time. The show was ahead of it's time and the scores reflected it.........dropping out of the top 3 for the first time to 7th place.

They came back with a vengeance in 81 however to win. Hmmmm.....................could history repeat itself?? :)

Although SCV may have been the first corps to do mostly an all asymetrical drill in 1980, they were not alone that year. We did asymetrical in "The Planets" part of our show. The judges told our staff they did not how to judge it. :worthy:

Although SCV may have been the first corps to do mostly an all asymetrical drill in 1980, they were not alone that year. We did asymetrical in "The Planets" part of our show. The judges told our staff they did not how to judge it. :worthy:

So it appears that the asymetrical drill happened in 1980, and it was

27th, SCV, and Crossmen all the same year?. wow..kind of like' this year

with yowza tikki tur and digga digga's.

Seemed to be a common problem that year didn't it?! :sshh:

So it appears that the asymetrical drill happened in 1980, and it was

27th, SCV, and Crossmen all the same year?. wow..kind of like' this year

with yowza tikki tur and digga digga's.

We did it in 79, then 80 in the OTL.

Kilts 78...first use of concert timpani.

BD 84...first stacked keyboards...changed the entire sonic modeel of the pit.

i'm sorry...let me clarify. By asymmetrical drill I mean the entire

show, not just one move or just a few minutes during the show.

I mean like it is now.

or was it gradual? did it start with a few moves

and eventually the whole show over time?

i'm sorry...let me clarify. By asymmetrical drill I mean the entire

show, not just one move or just a few minutes during the show.

I mean like it is now.

or was it gradual? did it start with a few moves

and eventually the whole show over time?

But see some where in point in time the IDEA had to be thrown out there. It doesn't matter to me how much if the question was "who was the first."

That's like the indoor guard argument about who was the first to use a floor. 1986 Pride of Cinn. gets mentioned first but folks forget that Erete used pieces of a floor the year before. To me Erete should get the credit as they were the "first" ones to incorporate it into a show.

I believe the year in question for SCV's asymetrical drill was 1980, not 81. That was also the year they did"The Planets" with the pseudo "moonwalk". Really cool effect at the time. The show was ahead of it's time and the scores reflected it.........dropping out of the top 3 for the first time to 7th place.

They came back with a vengeance in 81 however to win. Hmmmm.....................could history repeat itself?? :)

Yes Bob it is 1980...but I had seen visions of asymetrical drills in other shows before this one, I just wonder if this was the actual first asymetrical drill all the way through the show?

:)