Who were the Innovators?

Thinking WAY back, many corps used to enter on one side of the field, then become symmetrical once they reached the center field area. 1974 Troopers come to mind.

I'm not sure when it was that the entire show was performed asymmetrically.

What was very different and innovative was SCV coming out of the upper left corner "starting line" in ever expanding arcs or ripples in '69 and '70 (an Emmons drill). I think we were the first to do that. This was very different from what was the norm of just lining up the whole length of the end zone for "off the line".

Edited by MsBusDriver

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, and when thinking about it. When we moved from the endzone, the drill wasn't really symetrical per say. We moved in blocks and flanks and lines and arcs, in all different directions from one half of the field to the other, not necessarily in a "mirrored" effect. I think that the true mirror effect came about when we were finally allowed to start from the sideline and move forward to the middle of the field.

As far as entire show, '83 Cadets come to mind. Again credit that to Zingali (RIP).

It was 82, not 83 :D

I could be wrong, but I think Cavaliers was the first to do the "walk over." They also were the only corps (top 12) to do so.
What year did Phantom do that move in the closer of "Beethovens "Ode To Joy"?

Remember, the flags were in front of the company front, the hornline went over them and they came up with the yellow flags with Beethoven's bust on them?

I could very well be wrong, but wasn't that before "Softly"? (one of my favorite moves by the way!)

Edited by Bob Brady

What year did Phantom do that move in the closer of "Beethovens "Ode To Joy"?

Remember, the flags were in front of the company front, the hornline went over them and they came up with the yellow flags with Beethoven's bust on them?

I could very well be wrong, but wasn't that before "Softly"? (one of my favorite moves by the way!)

I'm thinking that was '77, Bob.........but there was no step-over. The guard kneeled down and the hornline went in between them. :worthy:

I'm thinking that was '77, Bob.........but there was no step-over. The guard kneeled down and the hornline went in between them. :worthy:

That move actually first appeared in PR's 75 show in "American in Paris". And Z's right, it was a pass through, of sorts, not a stepover.

Malibu is quite correct about the 1980 Crossmen drill being both assymmetrical and revolutionary. That same year btw, Boston Crusaders also had a drill design that was largely asymmetrical.....it has never garnered much attention because with a horn line of 28 in 1980, it was not a wonderful year placement-wise for BAC. But, the visual design WAS ahead of its time and it was executed well.

By the way, the visual designer for Crossmen and Boston that year was the same person.....Anthony Smith.

From Yea.org:

"In a Saturday morning statement, George Hopkins, executive director of Youth Education in the Arts, announced that the the offer to Keith Robinson to lead the Crossmen brass team has been withdrawn by Crossmen management.

Hopkins stated, "Scott Litzenberg and I have discussed the matter, and it is our feeling that, with consideration of the information received recently, Mr.. Robinson is not the best individual to lead the Crossmen brass effort".

Mr. Hopkins continued "I take responsibility for this mis-step. I had spoken to individuals regarding Keith but, I did not take the time to review past California contacts. It was my mistake. I am happy the corps' community informed me of the situation, as much as I am personally embarrassed at my lack of attention to detail. At the end of the day, this is a mis-step that we will correct".

Scott Litzenberg, the Crossmen's director, explained that the corps' programming and staff meeting will be held this Sunday, and that the topic of the brass caption would be discussed. An announcement should be expected early next week.

Additional announcements regarding the team will be forthcoming but, the organization is pleased to announce that

- Tricia Gooley will return as the caption chair for the guard

- Darren Hazlett will return as the caption chair and arranger for percussion"

Good to see some names back, any idea what happened here? The original hiring announcement was posted on this forum, but later edited and closed.

It gets back to the whole Troopers thread. OK, it's an internal matter but then they put out a press release which implies that there's "something juicy". Why not just say that "due to unforeseen circumstances, Mr. Robinson has decided he cannot accept" yadda yadda yadda. OK, it may be BS, but corporate execs "choose to pursue other options" all the time.

All that press release does is open things up for speculation by those (like myself) who are not in the know.

"Not the best person, etc:"

The revolving door spins yet again my pretties...... It seems something like this happened to the Crossmen a couple of years ago, in the "Off Season".

Elphaba

Malibu is quite correct about the 1980 Crossmen drill being both assymmetrical and revolutionary. That same year btw, Boston Crusaders also had a drill design that was largely asymmetrical.....it has never garnered much attention because with a horn line of 28 in 1980, it was not a wonderful year placement-wise for BAC. But, the visual design WAS ahead of its time and it was executed well.

By the way, the visual designer for Crossmen and Boston that year was the same person.....Anthony Smith.

You are so right, Mr. Craiga!

Also in1979, Boston had 25 brass players

and an amazing asymmetrical visual design,

top performance visually at the cyo nationals in 79.

"Not the best person, etc:"

The revolving door spins yet again my pretties...... It seems something like this happened to the Crossmen a couple of years ago, in the "Off Season".

Elphaba

If you do a google search, you will see why they made the correct decision that they did.

Mike