Who were the Innovators?

There have been some great advancements and show moves

in drum corps in the last 33 years. Some are commonly known,

and some may not be. Let's find out.

Did Santa Clara in 1981 really do the first asymmetrical drill?

Who did the first "walkover"? Which corps had

the first Contra solo? What about other trademark moves?

Did Phantom crab first? Who did? When did the

first "too big to carry" bass drum arrive on the scene?

Were Blue Devils the first to do that flailing arms drumming in '94? (does that have a name?)

what was the highest note hit during a sop solo?

Please add your own as they come to mind.

This should be a great list of who did what.

Edited by audiodave

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know some more but the one that sticks out is the first double flag...George Zingali created that..

And the "trick flag" which was created by Peggy Twiggs and Patty Bonfiglio...(meaning the first flags that were used twirling)...from my understanding. :)

Highest note I know of in Junior Corps is the F above Double C played by the Cadets in the early 80's.

In Senior Corps, G above double C played by Roger Grupp in Minnesota Brass 2004.

I think the Snapettes had one of the fastest pinwheels ever. Their feeder corps The Other Snapettes Minature Pony Drill Team pulled a hundred man 180 at over 200 bpm. The outer ranks were totally airborn.

I also thought the use random monkey sticking was kinda neat the first time I saw it introduced by BD.

Mom

Highest note on a Contra, G above middle C, A guy named Eddy. Year not available. Corps not either. But I heard it I am sure. As the bus rolled over his foot.

One junior corps that I always thought was ahead of its time was the St. Rita's Brassmen from Brooklyn, NY, late 1960's through 1973. (The corps folded after the '73 season.)

I remember the Brassmen's drill included what was called "suicide wheels"...... fast-paced squad wheels, whipping segments of the horn line around in eight counts or so. I don't know for sure, but this very well might have been the first extensive use of high-speed visuals of any type.

The corps also featured some great brass charts from Hy Dreitzer...some "off the beaten path" stuff, like an outstanding concert tune of variations on the theme of "Three Blind Mice".... an opener of "Sorcerer's Apprentice" complete with smoke effects (basically unheard of back then)... a tribute to fallen U.S. presidents which included use of "Ruffles and Flourishes" and the "Hail to the Chief" theme, the only time I've ever heard a drum corps play that during their field show.... and a fun "Perils of Pauline" production, with the "fair maiden" being "rescued."

Great cutting-edge stuff for that era.... and always entertaining!

Fran

VK was the first to have 2 valve contras I think in all of DCI...right? There were testing them--they had the beta versions if I remember correctly.

Highest note on a Contra, G above middle C, A guy named Eddy. Year not available. Corps not either. But I heard it I am sure. As the bus rolled over his foot.

:worthy:

ouch.

:worthy:

ouch.

I think it was a foot. He was laying down at the time.

I believe the year in question for SCV's asymetrical drill was 1980, not 81. That was also the year they did"The Planets" with the pseudo "moonwalk". Really cool effect at the time. The show was ahead of it's time and the scores reflected it.........dropping out of the top 3 for the first time to 7th place.

They came back with a vengeance in 81 however to win. Hmmmm.....................could history repeat itself?? :)

Edited by Bob Brady