Mandarins Show Idea

Just saw the National Ballet of China's production of the ballet "Raise the Red Lantern" by Chen Qigang this weekend at the Brooklyn Academy of Music and it was absolutely stunning. I really think it would make a great vehicle for the Mandarins (especially since a lot of the costuming actually already looked like Mandarins guard uniforms from the past). And the final scene when the first concubine along with the second concubine and her lover are whipped to death was simply unbelievable theater. It would be an amazing vehicle for the Mandarins to continue their growth as they move into Top 12.

YES. if they can do exactly like that with a guard girl... talk about GE and a crowd favorite

No kidding, that's a really good scene, even if it was mostly CGI; that kind of dancing would still be a big hit.

And it's nice to see people talking about "Concept XYZ would make a nice show" for a corps like the Mandarins for a change :)

i just saw raise the red lantern abotu a month ago in orange county ,california... it was gnarly rad.. i see where you guys are goin with ge effect and that type of stuff.. but i dont think they music has enough to it to make a show out of... maybe if they incorporated other chinese ballet it would work musically.. but youre right.. the vis ge and concepts would be awesome

i just saw raise the red lantern abotu a month ago in orange county ,california... it was gnarly rad.. i see where you guys are goin with ge effect and that type of stuff.. but i dont think they music has enough to it to make a show out of... maybe if they incorporated other chinese ballet it would work musically.. but youre right.. the vis ge and concepts would be awesome

I've heard people say that many time. But I wouldn't be so quick to doubt what an arranger can do. Give Mandarins a chance to add their own flavor to it.

I think that an arranger could easily get 11 minutes out of a full-length ballet like Raise the Red Lantern. Especially when the percussion get the type of feature that the music would demand. And there are several really beautiful moments in the music too that I think the Mandarins could use to create a whole new way of putting music on the field. I agree that the music may not be exactly what one would think of as drum corps music, but that is precisely my point for why the Mandarins should pursue it. It would let them tap into their Chinese heritage while offering fans and judges a truly original style of program and music. Oh well, too bad I know noone at the Mandarins.

I love the Mandarin show from 05, very good. It was a heart ripper to me that they tied for 17th but then again....every corps has stepped it up...making it difficult to hit top 12.