What is Drum Corps?

I went through a little "hazing" (not bad though) and a lot of push-ups.

Hmmm, interesting. From your signature I guess that we are separated by about a generation.

And, noting not your post, but many of the others; when, exactly, did the music ed people become such hard-a**es.

:worthy:

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread like so many in the past is fundamentally about nostalgia,dislike of/resitance to change,failure to recognize new realities and the very nature of competive activity wherein the leaders keep raising the bar and pushing the envelope.Things are a lot more complex than we would like and it requires an effort, too large for most, to keep up with what is really going on .

Analyzing at the micro level is exhausting.The situation is better understood at the macro level focusing on the positive developments in the musical sport world.There are more kids in marching bands than ever before and the level of excellence continues to improve at a rapid pace with DCI corps as the models of excellence.The number of auditions for DCI corps has never been higher.The last four years have seen significant growth in D1 corps and remarkable improvement in D2s.There were more corps at DCA finals this year than ever and there will be more next year

Like it or not the drum corps that we loved has evolved into elite summer marching(better yet choreographic) brass band.The number of people who have come out of the drum corps experience to become band directors,instructors and adjudicaters is huge and they are having a great positive influence on the high school musical sport activity.

I say to all the hard core:get out to a marching band show this fall and see what great things are happening.There you will see more happy smiling teenagers than you can ever see at any time in one place.

Frank

By simply being a music major they are already showing that they probably know more about music than most, have access to an instrument, and have a fairly rigorous practice and skill building schedule as part of their college studies. etc...

Your assumptions about music majors vs. non-majors are nearly as short-sighted and condescending as the original poster's remarks are degrading to women. I was never a music major, took one non-major theory class (which taught me practically nothing, except the correct terminology for things I already knew), yet I participated in as many (if not more) performing ensembles as most music majors (anywhere from 4-6 ensembles per semester, at least one rehearsal or performance per day, on average). I also arranged a good deal of music, probably more than most music majors, and wrote drill for a performing marching band - which some music majors may get to do, but I'm sure the vast majority don't. As an undergrad, I spent more time on music than on my "real" classwork. Currently, as a grad student, I am fully involved in two ensembles, and part-time in another. I still pick up my horn every day.

I never marched DCI - my time has passed now - but if I had the desire, I have no doubt I could have made any hornline in D-1. I simply enjoyed (and still do) playing music for fun, and tried to do it as often as I had time. I realized that there are tons of music majors out there, but only so many band director/performer jobs. I decided I'd be better off getting a degree from a prestigious university and finding another career that would make me just as happy, but give me a better chance of finding a job...even though I'd probably be a good band director, if my collegiate experiences are any indication.

And, yes, I realize I'm an exception....but I go to a school that perenially has fewer than 10 music majors. Among the several hundred musicians I've performed with over the years, no more than a dozen or so have been music majors...and none was ever a principal/lead player on his/her part. Many of the non-majors would have been very talented music majors; they just chose a different path. Our wind ensemble sounded as good as many schools teeming with music majors, and it was directed by one of the best wind conductors today - he now leads the Eastman Wind Ensemble. Our top jazz ensemble is comparable to a nearby college's group, yet their school is one of the finest music schools around. I've also seen performing ensembles of schools talking up their music major program that looked quite pathetic.

The point - there are plenty of non-music majors out there who can play their keesters off, and there are even some music majors who are lacking in playing ability. One need not be a music major to attain a high level of performance and/or musical knowledge, and there are plenty of opportunities for non-majors to perform. To say that a music major would almost always beat out a non-music major...well, your average music major can out-play your average non-major, but there are plenty of exceptions. And as to the question of taking a music major vs. a non-major of equal talent to fill out a line...the non-music major most likely had to make greater sacrifices to attain that level of achievement, and from what I know, desire plays almost as large a role as ability in the audition decision-making process.

Lastly, those of you out there intending to become high school band directors, or even to work with high school bands, had better realize that the vast majority of your students won't care nearly as much about music as you do, won't practice as much as you want them to, and won't take things as seriously as you'd like them to. Your success and, I'd imagine, your day-to-day satisfaction with your job will depend on your ability to reach the non-major types - those who perform just for fun...just for something to do...just to spend more time with their friends...or just because their parents make them. The view that those don't care as much about what they're doing are less important surely won't make things any easier.

Edited by smj02

it does concern me sometimes that the activity at its top level has become a place where only a tiny group of elite individuals can find a home.

Since, as you stated, these groups are top-level, why should this fact be surprising? Corps must earn their way into the top levels of finals, and such an achievement is hard to accomplish. It's not surprising to me, then, that they would prefer to select the most talented members for the spots in their group. (Those spots are limited to begin with, anyway. Only 1620 kids can ever march finals in any given year, a number barely twice as much as Bluecoats have seen audition in a single year.) I think we can all agree that the more talented the members of your corps, the better your performance will be. If that makes sense, then we can agree that a competitive corps would do well to select the the most talented of auditionees.

What does that mean? Well, it means that you're going to have to work hard if you want to make it into one of these top groups. Is that a bad thing? It doesn't seem so to me. As coveted as these spots are, it seems to me that these shouldn't be easy corps to get into. The top groups have set a certain standard for themselves, and if you can't match that standard then it's within that corps' rights to deny you a spot. I still like to pick up my horn every now and then and play, but if I show up at an audition for the Cavaliers, I don't expect them to just hand me a spot. I expect to have to earn it, and I'd wager that my skills wouldn't compare too well with a music major who practices for hours every day.

I think the biggest problem I had with your post was that you mentioned the "top level" specifically. I think any fan, member, or FMM wants people to experience drum corps. But I think most of us would also agree that in the world of competitive marching arts, you have to earn your way. Nobody is just handed a spot in a corps, just as no corps should be simply handed a spot in finals. It's not surprising then that a music major is able to earn his way in - not because he is a music major, but rather because he has practiced hard to be able to play as well as he can.

Of course, such practice is in no way limited to music majors. So if your concern was that not just anybody can be in a top corps, I'd have to say "yeah, they can, but they'll have to work hard and earn it". I dont' see that as a concern, I see that as being the way things should be.

I marched 25 years ago and was the only music major in the corps. Most were high school students of which maybe 1 became a music major in college.

Our goal (like today's corps) was on preforming, playing and marching the best you could. So yes, the staff TAUGHT us how to do that.

I have also performed in numerous bands and choirs since, including the Baltimore Symphony Chorus and guess what, I AM STILL LEARNING from each conductor I have the great fortunate to sing or play for (whether local or internationally known).

To be a truly GREAT PERFORMER requires that you LEARN ALL YOU CAN about your chosen medium (dance, theatre, music, or corps).

Edited by shawn craig

I agree with Lance, your posts sound very disapproving of today's show design ("sleepers"). It's negative towards today and supportive of an older style. A style I happen to like better myself (surprised?). So, it does seem very contradictory for you to say that you love today's drum crops but they are not strong and they put you to sleep.

Again, I have mentioned the aspects that I like about todays drum corps if you read back....so the fact that I voice what I do not like is contradictory? Maybe I am being misunderstood. I have always believed that it is ok to like and dislike some aspects of an entity without disliking the entity as a whole....maybe I've benn married too long :P

I’m am back after taking a few days off after my last topic that I choose to quit responding to because people were posting with out reading the point of the topic first..............................................................drumline. And I feel that the softness in drum corps now allows for them to be able to do it in larger numbers than ever. What is going to happen when these women start teaching drum corps drumlines? (It will happen).........................................................................

..................................... Not to be sexist but do you think that the male member is going to really be listening and taking a girl drum tech seriously? I don’t.

My point here is that because drum corps is getting softer that it is allowing girls that would not have been mentally strong enough 10 years ago to be able to join. I am not saying that none of the girls marching last summer didn’t have what it takes just like the women before them had what it took. It just seems that having a girl on a drumline is standard procedure now and I think it is possible to do now because of how soft drum corps has become.

That’s all for now lets do this,

Devin

Please read and think and stay on topic. Thank you

I won't even address the strange paths you accidentally wandered off on during this post.

I feel that drum corps of today is completely opposite of what you think it is from the education/performance level.

Used to be in most div I corps there was more of an educational atmosphere (example: I marched SCV 88 with about a year of horn experience under my belt, was a third sop in danger of being cut but was offered a deal to play french horn so as to avoid being cut) where they would work with you and part of the program was designed to teach you and make you a better musician all around.

Nowadays (and I don't speak for all corps and I AM trying to avoid generalization here) you're pretty much expected to know what you're doing when you GET there, and the time is spent teaching and cleaning a show and not necessarily working on music theory, alternate charts not in the show, etc. Nowadays corps march people who are already on top of their game when they get there, for the most part. I'm of course speaking about top 12 div I corps, not seniors or div II & III where they do teach music to the youth.

At any rate, you couldn't be more wrong.

My .02.

I won't even address the strange paths you accidentally wandered off on during this post.

I feel that drum corps of today is completely opposite of what you think it is from the education/performance level.

Used to be in most div I corps there was more of an educational atmosphere (example: I marched SCV 88 with about a year of horn experience under my belt, was a third sop in danger of being cut but was offered a deal to play french horn so as to avoid being cut) where they would work with you and part of the program was designed to teach you and make you a better musician all around.

Nowadays (and I don't speak for all corps and I AM trying to avoid generalization here) you're pretty much expected to know what you're doing when you GET there, and the time is spent teaching and cleaning a show and not necessarily working on music theory, alternate charts not in the show, etc. Nowadays corps march people who are already on top of their game when they get there, for the most part. I'm of course speaking about top 12 div I corps, not seniors or div II & III where they do teach music to the youth.

At any rate, you couldn't be more wrong.

My .02.

Funny you say this, but I remember the same attitude marching with Blue Devils in 1979....there was very rarely instruction...you were expected to know what was expected of you and shine, at the same time there was very liitle yelling or personal attack,,,you were treated like a professional.....I was not a music major, but I was good enough to make the line....maybe this is more prevalent in the top 12??? B)

Hmmm, interesting. From your signature I guess that we are separated by about a generation.

And, noting not your post, but many of the others; when, exactly, did the music ed people become such hard-a**es.

:worthy:

In the corps I marched, I think only a few were, or went on to be music ed people. Perhaps one sign of how times have changed. We could play though!

This thread like so many in the past is fundamentally about nostalgia,dislike of/resitance to change,failure to recognize new realities and the very nature of competive activity wherein the leaders keep raising the bar and pushing the envelope.Things are a lot more complex than we would like and it requires an effort, too large for most, to keep up with what is really going on .

Analyzing at the micro level is exhausting.The situation is better understood at the macro level focusing on the positive developments in the musical sport world.There are more kids in marching bands than ever before and the level of excellence continues to improve at a rapid pace with DCI corps as the models of excellence.The number of auditions for DCI corps has never been higher.The last four years have seen significant growth in D1 corps and remarkable improvement in D2s.There were more corps at DCA finals this year than ever and there will be more next year

Like it or not the drum corps that we loved has evolved into elite summer marching(better yet choreographic) brass band.The number of people who have come out of the drum corps experience to become band directors,instructors and adjudicaters is huge and they are having a great positive influence on the high school musical sport activity.

I say to all the hard core:get out to a marching band show this fall and see what great things are happening.There you will see more happy smiling teenagers than you can ever see at any time in one place.

Frank

Yes, auditions for the top are very high. It's too bad that the kids who don't make it do not choose to march another corps. They may enjoy that corps and spend years with them, or use the valuable experience to go out for a "bigger" corps later. Either way, all would benefit.