DCI vs. WGI Drum Lines

i think the better DCI lines are much better than the better WGI lines.

the biggest reason for me is probably that DCI lines hafta be so much more musical.

some of the coolest things sometimes are simple little parts that are just a background groove to, or even doubling the, hornline's parts.

both are extrememly fun, awesome, rewarding, cool, etc.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellence = DCI

Cutting edge, creativity, and willingness to try new things = WGI

I think you nailed it right there.

I would also add that there is much more crasy notes in WGI then DCI, maybe cause DCI lines have to tone down for Brass lines, and also it isn't a drum show.

As far as what Jeff was saying, that the people that did DCI and WGI that he talked to found DCI "Harder" more difficult, it might be because you are from the east coast, but line there are getting better and better every year.

Why don't more DCI lines have Winter lines that compete in WGI like Blue Knights? It seams like that would be a good way to keep a lock on their growth as unit instead of resetting the clock each season.

I would think the Cadets could use WGI as a 'lab' to test out new things before the Summer.

Mom

Why don't more DCI lines have Winter lines that compete in WGI like Blue Knights? It seams like that would be a good way to keep a lock on their growth as unit instead of resetting the clock each season.

I would think the Cadets could use WGI as a 'lab' to test out new things before the Summer.

Mom

Because the majority of the kids in the line are probably not local. The WGI Independent lines are the other way around - they are made up of relatively "local" people from many drum corps - that way rehearsals are not logistical nightmares! What I mean by "local" are kids from within say a 150 mile radius as an example. Most kids don't fly into weekly Indoor Percussion camps like many kids fly into monthy Drum Corps camps.

I think you nailed it right there.

I would also add that there is much more crasy notes in WGI then DCI, maybe cause DCI lines have to tone down for Brass lines, and also it isn't a drum show.

As far as what Jeff was saying, that the people that did DCI and WGI that he talked to found DCI "Harder" more difficult, it might be because you are from the east coast, but line there are getting better and better every year.

had nothing to do with location. guys from San Diego said it too.