American Legion Championships?

Interesting trivia (well to me anyway) if the AL Championships do not resume.

If so, Reading will be the winner of both the last AL (2005) and VFW (1962) Sr Championships.

Not necessarily......the AL could be held at another time in the summer, and has it even be decided yet, if it won't still be a joint venture in Rhachacha? I don't think anything is definate yet.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm not sure it will happen in Rochester kay. the reason is due to Doc not being involved with running the show. In fact, if not for Doc ressurecting this back in 98, there probably wouldn't be an AL show

What I meant to say was I was expecting you to blast them here.

i am not holding the entire American legion responsible for the assinine actions of a few who should know better

Not necessarily......the AL could be held at another time in the summer, and has it even be decided yet, if it won't still be a joint venture in Rhachacha? I don't think anything is definate yet.

True but I was thinking that Doc S (not gonna try to spell the last name by memory) was the one that resurrected the Senior AL Championships. And think it has only been in Scranton (Docs home area) since the Champs was brought back. Considering Doc is 90+ wonder if he wants to start fresh by the lake.

Heh, the trivia question would have been even better as I thought Reading won the last AL (1980?) before it was restarted. Turns out Cabs won it that year.

Which means no female member of the corps every won the AL Championship title until 2003! (taking that trivia further)

Which means no female member of the corps every won the AL Championship title until 2003! (taking that trivia further)

Boston was fun in 1980.

Mike Ryan

An interesting sidebar...The 1966 AL Championships were held in Washington DC. The first foreign corps to compete at the AL Championships were the 1966 Canadian Commanders. They apparently had the sponsorship of an ex-patriate Legion Post in Toronto, Ontario. They competed in the prelims and did well enough to qualify for the night show. I guess this rubbed some people the wrong way and they were then disqualified because they were not U.S. citizens (?). The corps really hoped to at least be the exhibition corps that night but those honours went to a marching band from Wisconsin that were AL sponsored.

A picture recently surfaced (from Ed Law, I believe, a snare drummer for Commanders in '66) of the corps on the starting line in AL prelims. We think prelims were held outside of DC in Virginia.

1966 has to be one of BEST years in drum corps history(IMO) and the Canadian Commanders were no exception that year. They would have given many of the top corps in finals a run for their money!

Was there not some discussion a few years ago about Kingston Grenadiers not being allowed to compete at a contest because it was run in conjunction with the AL championships? I seem to remember that the other corps at the contest told the Legion if the Grennies weren't allowed to compete, they wouldn't either. Now that's solidarity.

Bruce Lindsay

Commanders 71-73

MSJ Alumni 1998 - ?

66 was a great year for drum corps. the Cabs won the Legion Nationals again seems to be a recurring theme LOL and no kay I wasn't there LOL but Louie was.......

Mike Ryan

Edited by Cabstuba04

Ya know if Doc runs it like it has been, it will be by invitation only, thereby disqualifying many corps that coulkd potentially win if invited. Just thinking....

Ya know if Doc runs it like it has been, it will be by invitation only, thereby disqualifying many corps that coulkd potentially win if invited. Just thinking....

The invites, then, would/should go to corps who are affiliated with an American Legion sponsor and field an Honor Guard. Like I said earlier, it is possible that if the first place corps has no AL affiliation, the Title and Orange Flag could be awarded to a lower placing corps. If a corps wants to be in the position to earn that title, they should get themselves a Post to sponsor them and have an Honor Guard on the field. Many, many corps still maintain their Post sponsorship and have done so for a bunch of years. New York and Cabs for 60 years and I'm sure there are quite a few more.

Ray