American Legion Championships?

The invites, then, would/should go to corps who are affiliated with an American Legion sponsor and field an Honor Guard. Like I said earlier, it is possible that if the first place corps has no AL affiliation, the Title and Orange Flag could be awarded to a lower placing corps. If a corps wants to be in the position to earn that title, they should get themselves a Post to sponsor them and have an Honor Guard on the field. Many, many corps still maintain their Post sponsorship and have done so for a bunch of years. New York and Cabs for 60 years and I'm sure there are quite a few more.

Ray

What about Kingston Grenadiers?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about Kingston Grenadiers?

My memory's a bit fuzzy on this, but if I recall correctly, when the AL Championship was held as a "stand-alone" show in Scranton, 1997-2001 (meaning not tied in to the DCA Championship), the Grenadiers did compete one year, but the next year American Legion officials decided the corps couldn't compete for the AL title...so instead the Grennies performed in exhibition....judged exhibition, I believe.

Again, not sure if this is entirely correct. Perhaps someone from the Grenadiers can give us the full story.

Fran

i actually recall that being correct for one year, then the Grennies got a post in NY.

My memory's a bit fuzzy on this, but if I recall correctly, when the AL Championship was held as a "stand-alone" show in Scranton, 1997-2001 (meaning not tied in to the DCA Championship), the Grenadiers did compete one year, but the next year American Legion officials decided the corps couldn't compete for the AL title...so instead the Grennies performed in exhibition....judged exhibition, I believe.

Again, not sure if this is entirely correct. Perhaps someone from the Grenadiers can give us the full story.

Fran

I remember in 2001 that the Grennies were a judged exhibition.

We beat them that week. :)

• 4 months later...
Ya know if Doc runs it like it has been, it will be by invitation only, thereby disqualifying many corps that coulkd potentially win if invited. Just thinking....

It appears that DA was correct. The '06 Scranton/AL Champs show is to be invitation only. Also, it seems that some upstate NY corps aren't invited. Not quite fair to host a "national championship" and then not allow anyone who wanted to compete to take a shot at the title. It appears, somehow, disquieting.

I thought the AL Championship show at Scranton started in 1997, but '98 is close enough.

Especially two corps that have won it numerous times since it has been back. Brigs and Empire arent in the show.

DA

American Legion Championships by invitation only????

Man that just sounds wrong on so many levels....... <**>

the problem is that Doc does what he wants, and the Legion doesnt care. in fact, if not for Doc, there'd be no Legion show period.

Just my $.02......and this would be pre-DCA.....the only recognized National Championships were the AL and VFW. In order to participate in any sanctioned AL or VFW show there was a requirement that a certain percentage of your corps' be members of one of those organizations. (at least that's how I remember it)

I thought the AL Championship show at Scranton started in 1997, but '98 is close enough.

It did start in 1997. Empire Statesmen won the show that year.

Fran