John Cage's 4'33"

The title of the cactus piece is "Child of Tree". If you are interested in checking out Cage I suggest you try the "Sonatas and Interludes for Prepared Piano" or the 3 "Constructions" for percussion ensemble.

In post #27, I give the album number for the prepared piano pieces. In post #28, I ask if anyone has a good recording they could recommend of the Third Construction. It's not in my library, but should be, considering the multitude of times I've heard it at recitals and at the Percussive Arts Society International Convention.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From Amazon.com. Includes 3rd construction, Double Music (Cage and Harrison), Ionisation and some other landmark percussion works.

# Composer: John Cage, John / Harrison, Lou Cage, et al.

# Performer: Amadinda Percussion Group

# Label: Hungaroton

# Catalog: #12991

Video that includes Cage talking, as well as performance clips of 3rd Construction, Credo in US and other works.

John Cage: I Have Nothing to Say and I Am Saying It (1990)

Product Details

* Starring: John Cage, See more

* Format: Color, HiFi Sound, NTSC

* Rated: NR

* Studio: Kultur Video

* Video Release Date: July 29, 1997

* ASIN: 1561270636

Edited by trwiggin

I was looking at corpsreps.com and on a whim decided to a composer search of John Cage. What I found was that the Senators (of the UK?) performed 4'33" in 2003. (?????????)

Is there anyone here who actually saw this??? What on earth did they do???

For anyone who doesn't know, John Cage was a very weird composer who died in 1991 or around that time. He composed strange pieces of "music" like where the performer is supposed to set the piano on fire and let it burn, and then the sounds of the piano burning becomes the "music". He also wrote a concerto for 4 boomboxes or something like that.

4'33" is a piece for "piano" where the performer sits at the piano for 4 minutes and 33 seconds and doesn't play a single note. The "music" (in Cage's mind) is suppsed to be the sounds of the audience reacting to what they're seeing.

Dude was f***ed up.

I always wanted to do a band transcription of that. Anyone know a good arranger?

Ever see his piece for amplified cactus? I'm not making this up. Condenser mikes are attached to parts of a cactus and then the cactus barbs are plucked. I couldn't tell you if the cactus likes that or not.

I saw this piece for percussion performed by one of my friends who is a fantastic performer. The different textures, unique sounds, and just having fun was truly amazing. I would highly recommend this for anyone who wants a little insight into Cage's mind.

Carlito

So nobody here saw this performed by the Senators in 2003? Maybe I need to talk to some drum corps brits...

In college we had brass area recitals once every few weeks on Monday afternoon, where a few people would perform a piece that they'd been working on in the studio for everyone else. This one trombone player played a solo piece for unaccompanied trombone by Bernstein, but he had this tuba player (a wild and crazy type nicknamed "Woody") go out there with him and sat down at the piano. The trombone player started playing the solo, while Woody sat at the piano waiting... then he put his hand on the keys, then he took them off, then he turned a page... etc. Was pretty funny, and the trombone player got good applause while Woody got even better applause!

We did a similar thing with the recitals, and a guy wrote a song for trombone and upright vacuum.

I have to say, I'm a sucker for that kind of stuff!

"Vacuum" and "sucker." Good one.

Was the piece similar to how Malcolm Arnold utilized a floor polisher in one of his works?

Where can I find a recording? I'd love to play it for my Music Appreciation Class :laugh:

"Vacuum" and "sucker." Good one.

Was the piece similar to how Malcolm Arnold utilized a floor polisher in one of his works?

I'm not sure, I've never heard that one. b**bs

The effect was mostly satirical, but they actually pulled it off pretty well.

KevinSop85, did you mean a recording of the vacuum piece or the cactus piece? I'm pretty sure the tbone/vacuum thing was a one-off for the sake of the class.

Edited by monoemono