John Cage's 4'33"

I suggest getting ahold of the available Naxos CDs of his studies for prepared piano. There's an elegance and simplicity in the works that is mesmerizing if one allows their brain to open up to the possibilities that exist outside one's own narrow background. You've got to open yourself up to such music if you have any chance of understanding and appreciating it.

He was a fascinating speaker and brought many innovations to the world of music. Some of his pieces were meant to outrage because they were meant to get people to think, to expand their minds (without drugs) and to notice the existence of sound around them.

He was NOT "f***ed up."

Mike

I totally agree! Prepared piano is an amazing thing.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like noisy music better...and fluffernutter...and circus peanuts...and a glass of scotch....and poetry...and of course my friend Baxter!!

Canonball!!!!!

Jimmy Page flys down on a white unicorn and plays on his double-strat while accompanied by a 2000-member children's choir. You totally missed it. :P

I thought he played a double SG ?

Hey Mike Boo - and anyone else who would know - what would be some good John Cage discs to check out?

Naxis American Classics: John Cage - Sonatas and Interludes for Prepared Piano (1946-1948) performed by Boris Berman, 8.559042

Naxos American Classics: John Cage - Music for Prepared Piano Vol. 2 performed by Boris Berman, 8.559070

Go in with an open mind and the music is actually quite lovely, reflecting his interest in Zen Buddhism.

Check out www.hnh.com

Edited by Michael Boo

Does anyone have a favorite recording of Cage's Third Construction (for percussion)? I'm surprised to find it's not in my library.