John Cage's 4'33"

to quote Jack Handey:

"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."

sorry, i know that was completely OT.

Edited by TTitans909

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, maybe. Cage had silence copyrighted apparently. And mind you there was a score for 4'33", in 3 movements.

You either play the real thing or you play an imitation, and who would do that at a recital?

Seriously, when I was working on my masters in composition, I wrote a piece that was performed at a composers' convo at Northern Illinois University that had one of the dancers announce, "Four minutes, thirty-three seconds of John Cage choaking on a chicken bone imitations." And yes, the lead dancer used a stopwatch. It was extremely seditious, the kind of thing you could only get away with in college...unless you were John Cage.

Ever see his piece for amplified cactus? I'm not making this up. Condenser mikes are attached to parts of a cactus and then the cactus barbs are plucked. I couldn't tell you if the cactus likes that or not.

You either play the real thing or you play an imitation, and who would do that at a recital?

Seriously, when I was working on my masters in composition, I wrote a piece that was performed at a composers' convo at Northern Illinois University that had one of the dancers announce, "Four minutes, thirty-three seconds of John Cage choaking on a chicken bone imitations." And yes, the lead dancer used a stopwatch. It was extremely seditious, the kind of thing you could only get away with in college...unless you were John Cage.

Ever see his piece for amplified cactus? I'm not making this up. Condenser mikes are attached to parts of a cactus and then the cactus barbs are plucked. I couldn't tell you if the cactus likes that or not.

Reason #1 for amplification: Proper keyboard technique.

Reason #2 for amplification: Smaller pit sizes.

Reason #3 for amplification: Before, you just couldn't hear the cactus being plucked in the GE box.

:P

Amplified cactus? Oh..my..god..

Amplified cactus? Oh..my..god..

The title of the cactus piece is "Child of Tree". If you are interested in checking out Cage I suggest you try the "Sonatas and Interludes for Prepared Piano" or the 3 "Constructions" for percussion ensemble.

The title of the cactus piece is "Child of Tree". If you are interested in checking out Cage I suggest you try the "Sonatas and Interludes for Prepared Piano" or the 3 "Constructions" for percussion ensemble.

I'm familiar with some of his stuff, mostly his outlandish concepts (like the piece of music which is supposed to last over 500 years or somehting). I've heard his Suite for Toy Piano among other things.

Just remembered this thing, looks like he got another one right

http://www.nikknakks.net/Drumcorps/DCWArticles/DCI2000.html

Finals Night, 2000: Star of Indiana wins the high brass trophy playing an extended version of John Cage's "Four Minutes, Fifty-three Seconds of Silence".

^0^

Reason #1 for amplification: Proper keyboard technique.

Reason #2 for amplification: Smaller pit sizes.

Reason #3 for amplification: Before, you just couldn't hear the cactus being plucked in the GE box.

:P

:worthy::blink::huh::worthy: b**bs

Great ^0^

Just remembered this thing, looks like he got another one right

http://www.nikknakks.net/Drumcorps/DCWArticles/DCI2000.html

Finals Night, 2000: Star of Indiana wins the high brass trophy playing an extended version of John Cage's "Four Minutes, Fifty-three Seconds of Silence".

^0^

Nice timeline for 2000. I would have LOVED to have lived through that season. Poor Colts :blink: