I was there,"Maynard & The Erie Thunderbirds"

:laugh: Erie Thunderbirds, 50th yr anny and banquet bash was by any standard a huge success. A review of the day from this ones perspective. We left out of Buffalo NY @ appx 1 pm on Friday afternoon. The drive to Erie took us (Joey Pero and myself) a little over 2 hours. When we arrived we walked into the facility, a beautiful Shriners Hall, I was immediately impressed by the size. The stage lighting was installed, the tables were set to hold appx 600 guests, and the powers to be from Erie were in attendance waiting for the arrival of the band for sound check. Gary Matczk (T-Birds director) was like a proud father waiting the arrival of his first born. We joked around awhile, then decided we were parched and went for the first cold one of the day. Four of us buzzed down the street a ways to find the first watering hole (the bar @ the Shriners was not open yet). We had some nice conversation with Jeff Gibbens, quenched our thrist and returned to the venue just in time to find Maynards bus arriving. All the band members were glad to see Joey as they stepped off the bus one by one. The sound check went well and the boys were off, back to their hotel to rest and freshen up.

The banquet started @ 5:30 pm with a buffet dinner which I might add was delicious. Following the eats Gary Matczak began the Erie Thunderbirds information and history section of the evening. Joe Salorino of Erie's drum line fame shared the podium. 50 years is a long time and my hat goes off to this fine organization. I believe they mentioned there were 3 idividuals who were still active and began with the corps @ their birthing 50 yrs ago in Meadville, PA. The awards given were appx 10 in number and cudos went to everyone who helped. I myself (co-director of The Ghost Riders) was there to give Erie our congratulations's for the past and to wish them contuinued success.

Valerie Gillespie (sax & vocals) with her four backups were fantastic and did a great job opening the show. Maynards band was outstanding as usual. Joey Pero was called to the stage on an impulse. They had asked him earlier to play Birdland so he went to the car got his horn (didn't warm up) and we relaxed and enjoyed the show. When Maynard called him to the stage it was at the beginning of the Medley. I was concerned when Maynard took Joey front and center and said "GO". He didn't even get a warm up chart. This meant

"MacCarthur Park" cold. He absolutely hit it out of the park !!! Joey even surprizes me on occassion and this was one of them.

What a class act. I have been to many fine Banquets in my day and this has to be the best I've ever attended. A Big "Thumbs Up" goes to my friends from Erie, Gary Matczak, Gene (of melliegene fame), Chez, Tommy D, Nick, Jim, and the rest of the bunch. "OH WHAT A NIGHT"

A special thank you to Jeff & Dale Gibbens for their hospitality. They had the after party at their home and invited Maynards band. The appetizers served along with the liquid refreshment made for a wonderful time till 3:30 am.

Doug Mellenthine ; co-director Ghost Riders mini Corps

Thanks for all the kind words Doug,.....................I am kinda going through a "did that really happen" set of days here,........................ the real problem is now having to get back to some real work, after a bunch of "play" work........the only downside is someone stole my personalized, autographed poster by Maynard and Valerie,............ I hope whoever has it is named Gary,.............. and can explain to his wife why Valerie loves him,.............................

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all the kind words Doug,.....................I am kinda going through a "did that really happen" set of days here,........................ the real problem is now having to get back to some real work, after a bunch of "play" work........the only downside is someone stole my personalized, autographed poster by Maynard and Valerie,............ I hope whoever has it is named Gary,.............. and can explain to his wife why Valerie loves him,.............................

My plans were to grab one of those posters before I left, but I got so engrossed in the everything and everybody it simply slipped my mind. Kept the mental image though.......guess that'l work.

Yeah, that's too bad that someone stole Gary's poster autographed by Vallerie and MayNARD. However, Gary and I were NOT going to be denied. So, on Saturday morning, we went to MayNARD's hotel room. We informed MayNARD, and his band, that we weren't going to leave unless MayNARD autographed 3 additional posters. So MayNARD came out in his sweat pants and had a conversation with Me, Gary Matczak, and Mike Adamus. MayNARD told us that he was a "professional sleeper" and has no problem sleeping on buses. I then replied: "You musta done Drum Corps then." Gary and I were then handed 3 posters autographed by MayNARD. Then it was realized that the bus was loaded and it was time to leave for Pittsburgh to play another gig. We all waved good-bye, and so, the bus departed.

Gary and I couldn't believe what just happened. I was awe-struck that I accomodated an autographed poster and shook the hands of MayNARD Ferguson on a rainy Saturday morning in Erie, Pennsylvania. If/when I grow up, I want to be just like MayNARD.

All night the band refered to Maynard as: "May....NARD." (FYI)

Sounds like you guys had much fun.

Nick...you need a few more notes in your rep to be like one of the best lead trumpet players in history, but at least you have the right attitude about it. Also MayNARD does have quite a vibrato, so you at least you are moving in that direction.

Donny

Nick...you need a few more notes in your rep to be like one of the best lead trumpet players in history, but at least you have the right attitude about it. Also MayNARD does have quite a vibrato, so you at least you are moving in that direction.

Donny

LOL

Donny

I agree, however, which notes do I need? I can play some "mean" Pedal Tones. I can play From Double A to Pedal A w/o changing my embochure. (I'm B Sure!) How much money do you think I could make doin' that? I told MayNARD that I was playin' his solo in "ROCKY" when I was 16. I was rockin' in the Strong Vincent High School Jazz Band. All the girls in the auditorium used to yell: "GO NICK!" That's where that phrase came from. My band director used to yell: "Viva la Vibrato!" whenever I would play one of my solo's. That's where Vibrato came from. Everyone likes my Vibrato/TONE except for Donny Allen. When I marched with the Crusaders, Donny would single me out on a regular basis. I used to think that Donny was either jealous of my horn playing ability, or maybe there was a possibility that I really do suck. Anyways, Donny pushed me to be better. My Mom thinks I play good. That's all that matters.

Some people think I am a good teacher, and some people think I am not. I have always thought that I could make horn lines sound better...well maybe except the last few years...by making them have a higher expectation of their own personal playing ability. Then when everyone gets on the same page considering tone quality and things like that, voila ...the horn lines gets higher scores. When they dont all get the same idea about approaching the instrument, individual differences make the horn line sound unclear.

If you think that I am bad about that stuff now, you should have been in Empire when we won high horns every week back in the early 90's. You would have been crying to your mommy then.

The notes you need are above high G to at least double C on trumpet.

The only reason I am the only one that told you anything about your sound, is because I like you. If others were dishonest to you, either they are not your true friends, or they are bad teachers of brass pedagogy. I became a teacher when I knew that those notes were disappearing from my repertoire.

Nick...stop bashing me about my teaching you to be better, especially when you admit that I made you better. If you didnt want to get better, you should have told me, and I would have noted it in my techinique studies. It would have said..."teach everybody else but Nick, he doesnt want to be a better horn player".

I realize that I woke up on the wrong side of the bed today. I still think that you could work on your sound and have a more pleasing tone, but obviously I am the ONLY person that thinks that.

signed,

Vic Chester

Some people think I am a good teacher, and some people think I am not. I have always thought that I could make horn lines sound better...well maybe except the last few years...by making them have a higher expectation of their own personal playing ability. Then when everyone gets on the same page considering tone quality and things like that, voila ...the horn lines gets higher scores. When they dont all get the same idea about approaching the instrument, individual differences make the horn line sound unclear.

If you think that I am bad about that stuff now, you should have been in Empire when we won high horns every week back in the early 90's. You would have been crying to your mommy then.

The notes you need are above high G to at least double C on trumpet.

The only reason I am the only one that told you anything about your sound, is because I like you. If others were dishonest to you, either they are not your true friends, or they are bad teachers of brass pedagogy. I became a teacher when I knew that those notes were disappearing from my repertoire.

Nick...stop bashing me about my teaching you to be better, especially when you admit that I made you better. If you didnt want to get better, you should have told me, and I would have noted it in my techinique studies. It would have said..."teach everybody else but Nick, he doesnt want to be a better horn player".

I realize that I woke up on the wrong side of the bed today. I still think that you could work on your sound and have a more pleasing tone, but obviously I am the ONLY person that thinks that.

signed,

Vic Chester

I don't have near the Talent of either one of you but............I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night

b**bs