I was there,"Maynard & The Erie Thunderbirds"

I don't have near the Talent of either one of you but............I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night

b**bs

Don't worry Gene, Donny & I "bump heads" every now and then. He knows that I didn't mean to urinate in his Wheaties. (It was an accident) I try to give him "props" and he takes it the wrong way. He knows I love him. He just likes to be mean sometimes. (He has a "rep" to uphold) He's from the "street" ya know. Then again..............so am I. (That's why we "bump heads.") I'm not afraid.......and let there be NO DOUBT that Donny Allen isn't either. BTW - MayNARD wasn't afraid last Friday night at the Erie Shrine Club on 38th & Zuck in Erie, Pennsylvania....................................LOL

Can't say that I ever cried to Mom. Didn't have time. I'd be just getting home and she'd be leaving for work. I had to get ready for school. I did cry though when Donny Allen tried to stab me with a pencil in Syracuse. I couldn't help it, I was laughing too hard. Remember when I said: "What you gonna do with a #2?" We were room mates then. Really, the only time we ever fought is when ever I practiced. The only bad thing about that is, I practiced every day. That's what I get for living with my horn instructor. Other than that, everything was fine.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The feelings are very mutual Nicky, my son. I respect you for your talent. I was just trying to get you to add some stuff to your practice routine besides the 76 Cabs. They were great I admit, but I was attempting to get you to broaden your goals as a horn player. You can learn alot by listen to Gene Marotta nd George DelMonte, and Bush man...but there are other things that could make you a stronger "all around" player....like technique exercises and things like that.

My Wheaties arent that soggy today. Have a nice day.

Donny

I did cry though when Donny Allen tried to stab me with a pencil in Syracuse. I couldn't help it, I was laughing too hard.

:spit:

Omygod! I forgot about that!!!!!!

You guys are never gonna stop!

HEY DA....what the heck is your email????

The feelings are very mutual Nicky, my son. I respect you for your talent. I was just trying to get you to add some stuff to your practice routine besides the 76 Cabs. They were great I admit, but I was attempting to get you to broaden your goals as a horn player. You can learn alot by listen to Gene Marotta nd George DelMonte, and Bush man...but there are other things that could make you a stronger "all around" player....like technique exercises and things like that.

My Wheaties arent that soggy today. Have a nice day.

Donny

Appreciate you calling me: "son." You could be old enough to be my dad. lol

I broke out the Arban's. After the Arbans............'76 Cabs! Then the "Curley Shuffle."

Edited by SoloSop420

Yeah, that's too bad that someone stole Gary's poster autographed by Vallerie and MayNARD. However, Gary and I were NOT going to be denied. So, on Saturday morning, we went to MayNARD's hotel room. We informed MayNARD, and his band, that we weren't going to leave unless MayNARD autographed 3 additional posters. So MayNARD came out in his sweat pants and had a conversation with Me, Gary Matczak, and Mike Adamus. MayNARD told us that he was a "professional sleeper" and has no problem sleeping on buses. I then replied: "You musta done Drum Corps then." Gary and I were then handed 3 posters autographed by MayNARD. Then it was realized that the bus was loaded and it was time to leave for Pittsburgh to play another gig. We all waved good-bye, and so, the bus departed.

Gary and I couldn't believe what just happened. I was awe-struck that I accomodated an autographed poster and shook the hands of MayNARD Ferguson on a rainy Saturday morning in Erie, Pennsylvania. If/when I grow up, I want to be just like MayNARD.

All night the band refered to Maynard as: "May....NARD." (FYI)

I had the honor and privilage to drive Maynard back to his hotel after the show,...............as soon as the last note hit he was ready to go, and my brother Tom and I were on our way with the man, as he was quite tired and needed to get some sleep. Talking with him was like talking to your grandfather. He was very happy and proud to hear our corps played several of his arrangements last couple years, and wished us the best, and offered to help us in the future getting the "rights to perform" for his original works. This 77 year old man could not have been nicer to us, the crowd of 575, and everyone he came into contact with that day,...............certainly one for the memory banks never to forget,...............

So what's the plan for the T-Birds this year? Anniversary year. Any plans to return to the field?Or will it be a huge loud hornline parting hair and peeling the paint off the cars on the street?

The LOUD, The HAIR, and The PAINT Thingee is a given. :P The rest is shrouded in secrecy ^0^ ^0^

QUOTE(Gmannn @ Oct 30 2005, 04:27 PM)

So what's the plan for the T-Birds this year? Anniversary year. Any plans to return to the field?Or will it be a huge loud hornline parting hair and peeling the paint off the cars on the street?

The LOUD, The HAIR, and The PAINT Thingee is a given. :P The rest is shrouded in secrecy ^0^ ^0^

Here is one secret that I was authorized to release:

To celebrate our 50th anniversary, theTHUNDERBIRDS plan to put on the field a huge hornline with an extemely talented percussion section. So far the numbers are:

127 Horns and 1 Trap set.

With NO Drum Major!

We have no Colorguard at this juncture. However, there seems to be quite an interest from the ladies in the "Red Hat Society." Hard to get them out of the American Legion, though. Their priorities are mixed up. We've been trying to throw in some Drum Corps to spice things up a little. It's hard to convince them that there is more to life than Bingo, Booze, and Geritol. Know what I mean, Gene? Ralph & BillyBob contributed what they could to provide our Melli line with their own bus. Gene was getting mad because the Sop's, Contra's, and Bari's all ready enjoy their new buses. His prompt reaction was to accomodate a Moped for our percussion section. Good thinkin' Melligene.

QUOTE(Gmannn @ Oct 30 2005, 04:27 PM)

Here is one secret that I was authorized to release:

To celebrate our 50th anniversary, theTHUNDERBIRDS plan to put on the field a huge hornline with an extemely talented percussion section. So far the numbers are:

127 Horns and 1 Trap set.

With NO Drum Major!

We have no Colorguard at this juncture. However, there seems to be quite an interest from the ladies in the "Red Hat Society." Hard to get them out of the American Legion, though. Their priorities are mixed up. We've been trying to throw in some Drum Corps to spice things up a little. It's hard to convince them that there is more to life than Bingo, Booze, and Geritol. Know what I mean, Gene? Ralph & BillyBob contributed what they could to provide our Melli line with their own bus. Gene was getting mad because the Sop's, Contra's, and Bari's all ready enjoy their new buses. His prompt reaction was to accomodate a Moped for our percussion section. Good thinkin' Melligene.

LMAO........UPDATE: Have a line on a "Side Car" for the Moped......stay tuned b**bs

LMAO........UPDATE: Have a line on a "Side Car" for the Moped......stay tuned b**bs

Good idea. Our percussion section may need a "roadie." I'll throw a motion on the table to nominate CheezyPoof to hold the office of "High Percussive Clean-up Dude." Will anyone 2nd the motion?