Drum Corps Source Music

One of my favorite CD's is a Bernstein collection with the Candide Overture, West Side Story symphonic dances, On the Waterfront, and Fancy Free. The music's just plain amazing whether it's being played by a corps or a symphony.

After hearing drum corps play the music first, I've gone out and bought My Spanish Heart, Pat Metheny's 'Still Life (Talking)', Don Ellis Live at Montreaux, some various Kenton stuff, Michel Camilo's 'One More Once', and probably a bunch of other stuff that'll come to mind later.

It also seems like there's a lot of music I have that I thought would be perfect for drum corps and then someone went out and did it, like Arturo Sandoval's 'A Mis Abuelos' from 'Danzon' and Scheherazade.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 CD's that I love :

Arturo Sandoval

- Day Dance (BD '95)

- A Mis Abuelos (Madison '96)

- Guagananco (BD '95)

Piazolla

- Adios Nonino (BD '99 & PR '04)

Great music on both!

Later,

Mike

We must have similar music tastes. I love both. It was actually James Logan World Guard that got me hooked on Piazzolla's music. If you get a chance buy Piazzolla's Tango: Zero Hour. It is an absolute passionate and great listen!

Don Ellis was a good mention. I've got several of his albums.

Tears of Joy, of course, has Strawberry Soup on it.

Live at Montreux has Open Wide and Niner Two

Live at Fillmore has Final Analysis, Loss, and Great Divide.

I have the Live at Montreux too and the arrangement Jim Wedge did for 27th Lancers of Open Wide and Niner two..are imo some of the most brilliant work for drum corps. :tic:

Arturo Sandoval

- Day Dance (BD '95)

- A Mis Abuelos (Madison '96)

- Guagananco (BD '95)

Unless I'm mistaken, those BD references aren't quite right...

Day Danse is by Chick Corea, from the 'My Spanish Heart' album.

Guaguanco is an Arturo Sandoval tune, but the Blue Devils have never played it. The Blue Devil B corps played it in 1997.

Unless I'm mistaken, those BD references aren't quite right...

Day Danse is by Chick Corea, from the 'My Spanish Heart' album.

Guaguanco is an Arturo Sandoval tune, but the Blue Devils have never played it. The Blue Devil B corps played it in 1997.

Quite true. Day Danse is Corea. Guaguanco was played by Crossmen I believe in 2001.

Check out the religious group Glad.

I think Crown's "A Mighty Fortress" and "The Reason" (both from 2005) came from here and here. (Open only if you have iTunes.)

If you liked Academy's show this year (and also Seattle's opener from 2003), here's Keith Lockhart with the Boston Pops doing Huapango. (also iTunes.)

Edited by Wildabeast

Dances with Brass - Washington Symphonic brass

includes Belkis, Queen of Sheba: Danza Guerresca (Cavaliers)

Dances from Estancia I the Land Workers (Phantom Regiment)

II Wheat Dance (Phantom Regiment)

IV Final Dance Malambo (Phantom Regiment, Madison Scouts and others I believe)

Overture to Dancer in the Dark (Bluecoats, Cadets)

Three Dance Episodes from On the Town (Cadets)

These are not the original arrangments but are arranged for brass and percussion

Matt, I know you liked BK this year, so I'd recommend the St. Louis Symphony's recording of Barber's piano concerto. The CD that I have has the violin and cello concertos as well.

Definitely some great stuff... it's amazing how BK translated it to the field.

Edit: Here's the iTunes link: http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore...55&s=143441

Edited by Keith Laubhan

I acutally have the Piano Concerto recorded by St. Louis and conducted by Slatkin, but from a different album. Here's the Amazon link to what I have:

http://www.amazon.com/Samuel-Barber-Sympho...TF8&s=music

BTW, I've been meaning to check out iTunes, but my MP3 player isn't an iPod. Are the tracks you purchase regular MP3's, or are they coded specifically for iPods and Macs?

Edited by Maedhros

I acutally have the Piano Concerto recorded by St. Louis and conducted by Slatkin, but from a different album. Here's the Amazon link to what I have:

http://www.amazon.com/Samuel-Barber-Sympho...TF8&s=music

BTW, I've been meaning to check out iTunes, but my MP3 player isn't an iPod. Are the tracks you purchase regular MP3's, or are they coded specifically for iPods and Macs?

My favorite Barber album...actually had Slatkin autograph it when I met him...

I've bought so much great music because of drum corps, but that's probably my best purchase directly related to a show I saw on the field.

I'm glad somebody mentioned Pat Metheny, but I'm pretty sure I bought my first Pat cd because of seeing Chuck's Pat Metheny t-shirt in 89 when he taught Knights, and wondering about the "Group." Figured it had to be good if Chuck liked it. Of course, Chuck was correct, though my personal favorite is "Bright Size Life". Something about Jaco on bass.

Edited by festive