Cadets to Perform

Michael;

What time is your flight up on Monday?

My wife and I are flying into Newark from Atlanta on Delta's 11 a.m. flight that day (our son is doing the parade with the Kennesaw Mtn. band).

Folks aren't kidding when they say to prepare for cold weather. The coldest I've ever been was at the '96 Macy's parade. I was shooting pictures of the JSU Marching Southerners, and had to be up on the photographer's scaffolding three hours before the start of the parade. Low that morning was 23, and the high that afternoon was 31. Oh, and it was windy, too.

BTW, we really enjoyed Woodstock's performance at JSU last weekend. I've got some pictures of them I'll e-mail to you when I get a chance.

Mike Morris

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

here's a link for viewing information if you are going in person to see the Parade.

http://www.macys.com/campaign/parade/info.jsp?dst=info

it's impossible to tell you what the weather will be so if you are coming in from out of town my advice is come prepared for anything & everything. it's been bitterly cold, moderately comfortable & occassionally warm. :laugh: think layers. that way you can add or take off as needed. also don't wear your best clothes, things will fall onto NYC streets, get trampled on, etc. wearing things you aren't afraid to leave behind isn't a bad idea.

you need to find your watching place EARLY. the website suggests people get there as early at 6:30. from experience i can tell you it is earlier than that. the closer you are to Herald Square the earlier you want to be there (and MACY*S is not kidding, about no public viewing from 38th down to 34th). if you bring a couple of thermoses of coffee or hot cocoa with you to keep warm, remember that public bathrooms in NYC are hard to come by as it is, usually with a "for paying customers only" clause, and on Thanksgiving they are even harder to come by because not everyone opens. if you leave your watching place be sure you have someone with you to keep it for you, otherwise once you are gone your spot is gone. read the website about NOT bringing folding chairs too. they aren't kidding, this is a standing room only parade.

in the wait for the parade to begin people get really pushy, grumpy, etc. you might wonder why you got up so darn early and why you went to all the bother to go through all this at some point. BUT when it finally begins to wander its way down the street and everyone is smiling, singing, waving, when you see the way everyone's faces light up ~ it ALL becomes worth it. seeing it in person is far different from watching it on tv. it is something you will never forget. :) and yes, i'll be honest, you see much more of the performances watching it on tv than you do in person. still ~ it is totally worth going. :)

if it wasn't for the fact that i'm now chief cook in my house for Turkey Day, i'd consider making a 5th trip (3 spectator/1 participant). i can't wait to watch this on tv. :)

here's a list of the 10 participants as well as their style of marching.

http://www.macys.com/campaign/parade/bands.jsp?dst=bands

Liz is so right about getting there early. The absolute best spot to watch is along Central Park West. The crowds are heaviest down Broadway and through Times Square. Also, bands stop playing once they cross 42nd Street and it's basically an 8 block staging area for the TV performances.

great news for the corps and drum corps in general.

make us all proud

Mike,

We're actually flying into Philly Moday evening instead of Newark. I can't wait to see Kennesaw Mountain the the parade (Starnes has built a phenomonal program there)! I saw you at the JSU show, but couldn't get to you to say hi. Are you going to the BOA Regional at the Georgia Dome? If so, I'll look you up there.

You probably know that my son is an alumus of Woodstock. We'd love to see your pictures!

Tell Carla "Hi" - We'll see you somewhere in the next few weeks, I'm sure!

Michael;

What time is your flight up on Monday?

My wife and I are flying into Newark from Atlanta on Delta's 11 a.m. flight that day (our son is doing the parade with the Kennesaw Mtn. band).

Folks aren't kidding when they say to prepare for cold weather. The coldest I've ever been was at the '96 Macy's parade. I was shooting pictures of the JSU Marching Southerners, and had to be up on the photographer's scaffolding three hours before the start of the parade. Low that morning was 23, and the high that afternoon was 31. Oh, and it was windy, too.

BTW, we really enjoyed Woodstock's performance at JSU last weekend. I've got some pictures of them I'll e-mail to you when I get a chance.

Mike Morris

have fun doing the 3 AM run thru!!!! :P

I kind of dread that part! Here's to naps on the empty buses..... :laugh:

actually it is a sight to behold.

makes for many memorable laughs later! :)

if you can stay awake for it to watch do so.

actually it is a sight to behold.

makes for many memorable laughs later! :)

if you can stay awake for it to watch do so.

Based on your recommendation, I will make sure to do just that!

SO I was checking the website and I was checking out what bands where going to be there.

Bands in parade Drum Corps show bands and Universities

Found it interesting how they listed them. Wonder how it works. I have heard of something before that some high schools do a drum corps type of thing during the summer.

that's the link i put up yesterday.

those that say drum corps ~ that denotes the type of performance style they use. not that they are a corps, compete as one, etc. .

Edited by LegalEagle50

Michael;

I thought after I made that post that you would probably be flying into Philly or Allentown.

Yes, Carla and I will be at the Dome Friday night and Saturday. Kennesaw Mtn. is hosting the regional, and providing the workers. Carla and I are going to be working up in the director's viewing area of the press box, I believe, from 11:30 a.m. until 5 p.m. on Saturday. Not sure what we'll end up doing on Friday night.