Capital Regiment Program Announced

Capital Regiment's musical program is finally unveiled. Look, drool, and enjoy!

Capital Regiment Press Release on DCI.org

Capital Regiment’s 2006 program will be titled called “Life Rhythms: Work, Rest and Play.”

According to a press release, “All human beings reveal rhythmical qualities in form, movement and growth patterns. We all move through life embraced by great rhythmical tides -- the cosmic pulling of the planets, nature's rhythms of day and night, the changing of the seasons, and the biological rhythms of breath and pulse.

“Perfected by 3 million years of evolution, every one of us has an internal clock that regulates our daily lives. We depend on these cues to tell us when to eat, sleep, work, rest and play.”

The work section of the show, called, “Equus,” is written by Eric Whitacre. The rest section of the show, called “Sleep,” was also written by Eric Whitacre. The play section of the show, “Serra Pelada,” was written by Phillip Glass.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Equus and Sleep are two great pieces. I'll be interested to see what Cap Reg does with it after seeing the Cadets' take last year. Sounds like a very enjoyable product. :)

I haven't heard "Serra Palada" in a while. I remember it being used by winterguards in the early 1990's. It should be interesting on the field.

AHHHH Sleep. Amazing piece. I have a recording of our wind symphony playing it a few years ago, incredible. It'll be interesting to see how Equus will sound, with the Cadets having played an original piece last year that was loosely based off of it. Wonder if they'll put in those insane trumpet/horn articulations.

Haven't heard the Glass piece.

Great choices, I'm excited to see how this turns out for them.

Hey, maybe to keep track of what time of day it is on the field, they'll put a sundial out there!!!

(figured someone would have to get it out of the way, so no one else does it....)

Sleep is such a great piece to listen to. I really enjoyed what Spokane Thunder did with it in 2004. I'm sure Capital Regiment will do a great job with both Whitacre pieces. I wonder what kind of take they will have on "Equus"--Anywho, can't wait to see and hear this show!

I'm very excited to see what they do with this show. I've played sleep with two wind ensembles I've been in. I love it very much. I have also arranged it for small brass ensemble. Definitely a cool piece. Equus is also very cool. I'm going to check out the glass piece here shortly to see how that sounds. is bocook writing the horn book again does anyone know?

I'm a little disappointed. I felt the past couple of years that Capital Regiment is one of a couple of corps where over-emphasis on the theme undermined the program. That's not to say that the performances weren't good; just that the theme sometimes seemed to get showcased more than the talent. I was kind of hoping they'd take a slightly different approach this year and worry less about the theme and more about the program. That doesn't appear to be the case (if one press release is indicative of anything).

Whatever the plan, here's hoping it doesn't involve chaining any guard members to rolling stock for the entire summer.

HH

If you want to hear a Bocook arrangement of Equus, check out Avon HS from Indiana at the BOA Grand Nationals in a few weeks.

They have one of the most physically demanding drills I have seen a HS band attempt. Where is Cap Regiment going to get the clarinets?? (see Avon and you will understand the joke).