'Voice of DCI' joins Phantom Regiment

I wonder if this was the same guy who announced Madison's home show in 1992. When he announced SCV in 3rd place (this wasn't finals but Madison's show) he then said, "wow, they had a good show." He sounded quite surprised at the placement. Then he announced Madison in 2nd place (behind Phantom) and the crowd booed. He said that wasn't nice and the crowd booed even louder.

Sounds like it would be the same guy.

Yeah, he used to do the local shows. At the '93 show (Madison's shows are called Drums on Parade), he called for a moment of silence in memory of Gail Royer, saying he couldn't believe he was there just a year ago and was now "gone." He really was one to make his feelings known. I know that Royer was quite a legend, but a moment of silence at a local show when Royer wasn't part of the local scene and Santa Clara wasn't even at the '93 show? :blink:

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are talking about the Brass Caption mess at finals this past summer...I don't really think it was his fault. I would assume he just reads the information he is given. (or maybe he knew that the Cavies and Regiment SHOULD of won brass). :sshh:

For the record, I wasn't talking about any incident . . . just a lighthearted poke at the thought of conflict of interest. :)

Dennis - that would be Bill Short and I thought he was a good announcer

but didn't quite have the color and energy of Mr. Crocker.

Right, Bill Short. Compare the reading of scores at '87 finals with '88. Bill is slow, deliberate, and sort of suspense-building. Brandt in '88 was flying at more than twice the pace, almost as if he was running behind schedule (he was probably so excited at these particular scores that he couldn't contain himself) :)

Does anyone else think that this could cause a problem with scores at some point in the season. I mean, Mr. Crocker will most undoubtedly have an emotional attachment to the 2006 Phantom Regiment, so who's to say that he doesn't announce their program with some sort of extra zest...or even a subliminal message.

I think if Phantom is TOO successful this year, we all have to take a look at how Mr. Crocker announced their name, as opposed to the way in which he announced The Magic.

I mean, why should the announcer be allowed to keep The Magic from taking over Phantom Regiment with subliminal messages. It is possible, after all. We are all tired of parity in DCI, and I don't think this situation helps to remedy the problem.

Any thoughts??

You know, you have a point. I've given it some thought . . . and I think Magic should hire him, too. B)

In response to an earlier post, I remember him saying "La MEER" for SCV '96.....not La Mur. At least, thats how he says it on the finals recordings.....

Yeah, he used to do the local shows. At the '93 show (Madison's shows are called Drums on Parade), he called for a moment of silence in memory of Gail Royer, saying he couldn't believe he was there just a year ago and was now "gone." He really was one to make his feelings known. I know that Royer was quite a legend, but a moment of silence at a local show when Royer wasn't part of the local scene and Santa Clara wasn't even at the '93 show? :blink:

Well, in defense of that statement, Madison and SCV did share a bond with each other. SCV was at that '92 show, a DCM show, the help celebrate Madison's 50th anniversary. Gail is also a loved and respected member of the drum corps community as well. I don't see a problem with asking for a moment of silence for him.

Ridiculous. Brandt is a professional, he will give each corps the same treatment. He always has and always will. You have to be kidding me, how could one insert a subliminal message in a corps announcement? Do you know what a subliminal message is? Brandt is good, but not that good. There is no way the announcement of the corps name could effect the score.

It's pretty clear that he was joking.

It isn't to me. If you are going to joke like that, you need a B) or a :music: or perhaps even a :P to indicate the attempt at humor. The only thing that was clear to me is that he was questioning the integrity of Mr. Crocker.

You must remember the other posts JazzRun here has made. Personally, I've just stopped paying attention to him. It seems that everything he says is completely rediculous!