(High School) Drum and Bugle Corps wins big

If the newspaper printed it wrong, why would those writing letters to correct it be the ones apologizing?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's just a public Florida high school that chooses to have its marching band program only march brass instruments, thus calling itself a "drum and bugle corps". It is the only high school drum and bugle corps which is an honest mistake by a newspaper reporter. In other words, I wouldn't consider it a big deal :)

Wasn't there a long trend about YEA putting together a drum corps thoughout some high school's? I believe it was suppose to happen in the east. I'm thinking NY or NJ but I haven't heard anything else about this project. Does anyone remember such a trend a couple of months ago?

Howdy!

Glad to see that North Port has made it onto DCP again. North Port is the school that was mentioned a few weeks ago that has Crown's old style of uniform.

They are raising that much money because the ENTIRE band department is going to this parade. Not just the drum corps, but the two jazz bands, the symphonic band, and the wind ensemble. There are also competitions slated for the jazz and concert band programs. In addition, the kids in the jazz and concert programs are going to learn to march and play drum corps instruments to be able to be in the parade. There are already many kids in drum corps that play woodwind or string instruments as well.

And yes, the kids are rabid DCI fans. We watch DCI and DCA videos on the long bus rides to football games and before home games in the music room. Three of our members have marched with Teal Sound, one of our contras is planning on auditioning for SCV this year, and a bunch of others are thinking of auditioning at other corps (assuming their parents will let them).

This program is well on its way to being something great. This season's edition of the corps was the best yet. If you have any questions regarding North Port feel free to send me and email at:

shanapri.geo@yahoo.com

Thanks!

Shane Ainsworth

Yes, as Pioneersop98 said, North Point was in fact the FL high school drum corps mentioned a few months back.

I wonder if their director is even aware of Hawthorne Gold, and if anyone's ever suggested taking a part of his ensemble to local DCI DivIII competition? If someone talks to him regularly, maybe you Pioneersop98, consider suggesting a few FL DCI shows. If you need a model, Hawthorne Gold's director's e-mail address is on the DCI site.

Doing local DCI competitions has been discussed...

As of this moment I don't know what the plans are.

Shane

It is the only high school drum and bugle corps which is an honest mistake by a newspaper reporter.

That's just the point - it most definately is not the only high school drum and bugle corps. There is at least one DCI Division III corps (Hawthorne Gold) that is a high school D&B corps.

$100,000.00 for this trip? This boggles my mind. The bulk of the tab is proably hotel rooms for that many kids and parents for a few days. Why not sleep in a gym like a real drum corps? I am serious. When I marched in college we went to one away game each year and stayed in hotels, the cost was astronomical.

However one big band stays at a local high school when they come to my college. Granted the band is staffed by drum corps people and many members march DCI/DCA, but it is a great camp out atmosphere.

Having been on a few band trips myself, I would even suggest less "funny business" goes on in the gym than individual rooms. (No, this is not time for stories about the gym floor.)

Doing local DCI competitions has been discussed...

As of this moment I don't know what the plans are.

Shane

Shane, where is this "Washington, DC Apple Blossom Parade" being held? Is this the one on Winchester, VA?

If so this might answer Johnnyboys question about rooming in a gym. Not sure if finding gym space is possible as the Wincester event is huge and has a ton of HS bands. Two years ago we were next to a bnad from Michigan who stayed in a motel.