(High School) Drum and Bugle Corps wins big

My high school band back in 1976 went all brass for marching band. Every year from that point till the school closed in I think the early 90's always fielded 150 brass, 40 in the drum line, and 64 in the guard. The catholic church in a cost cutting move closed the high school and merged it with another killing a very unique program of that time. We never called ourselves a corps, but our drum major always commanded with " corps tin hut" when he wanted us at attention.

We were often disqualified out of competition and had to march in exibition because of complaints of unfairness for using G bugles as opposed to traditional marching band instruments. We were called the "bought" champion or "the corporate corps" because we were considered a "rich" marching unit as a result of many corporate sponsorships, and a thriving bingo program. (hello Star of Indiana!) At that time I think there were only 1 or 2 other units that could be called a drum corps because of the use of G bugles and no woodwinds.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find the parallels between North Port and Hawthorne to be intriguing. The director of North Port is a former Suncoast Sound member.

The director of Hawthorne...as far as I have been informed...is a former Suncoast Sound member.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....very interesting.

And uhhhhh...you'd have to check back in my post history about, ohhhh, a year and a half, but I was serious hyping about Hawthorne because, well DUH, they could very well be the model for a new wave of school-based drum corps that could be funded in part by districts. There could be district drum corps. I know as a matter of fact of a super secret deal going on right now in southern California for a rather large district to create, sponsor, and fund a drum corps for summer touring. I mean...this is a reality folks. There's a need to give kids something to do (which is why drum corps existed for some corps in the first place--I know VK did!!--it was in their original charter), and what better way than for a district or a school to fund a program that could revitalize local drum corps AND possibly give DCI the boost of more corps at summer shows?

I think it's a win-win, and if Hawthorne and North Port could work things out, they could start a revolution.

Which is what I basically was saying a year and a half ago.

RIGHT SAM!?!?!?!?!?

I find the parallels between North Port and Hawthorne to be intriguing. The director of North Port is a former Suncoast Sound member.

North Port's director was a big fan of Suncoast, but did not march there. He has never marched drum corps.

Just wanted to clarify...

Shane

Thanks dude...I must have misread something. I stand correct. Thanks Shane.

This corps was designed from the git go before the building ever opened... Northport had no high school and it was built brand new (I was there during the construction) as an offshoot of nearby Venice HS

Coincidentally, two of their biggest supporters are Sarasota County Republican Big Wig Mary Briggs and Husband Don who live a few blocks from the school. They told me of the plan to have a drum corps there and kept me closely informed of the progress...

Don was the corps director of the Verona Eagles with considerable success in the early 80's. His son Chuck (who also lives in Florida) was a snare for Eagles, Patriots after they folded and finally Crossman... he also did the Marine Corps under Tru Crawford for a few years...