(High School) Drum and Bugle Corps wins big

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Journalism at it's finest :P

See they're talking about going to the Apple Blossom Festival. If they mean the one in Winchester, VA it should be interesting as at least two other corps (Shenandoah Sound, Hanover Lancers) usually make that parade.

Shoot, looked at the article again and see they mean the Washington, DC AB Festival.... Oh well. :(

Thanks for the site address as it's a great site for the corps.

As far as DCI trolling :P . Wonder how many Juniors corps are still out there that are not associated with DCI in any way. (Sounds like time for a new thread)

Not for Hawthorne.....thyey don't appear to have a web presense....a shame. They had a real nice brass sound (although I only heard them from the end zone at one show last year...Dream went on right after them at the Westlake Village show).

Unfortunately, I can't find the reference of the Florida HS corps....I DO remember mentioning that they could consider going into Div III comp in the region, and a staffer said they were considering it. Their unis resemble the late 90s Crown ones, but in white....anyone remember who they were??

Sam, could these guys be the Florida HS corps, as Northport is in Florida?

(edit for grammar)

Edited by ambassadorhorn

Xavier High School in NYC had a "Bugle Corps" founded by Dr. C.B. Brusack when he was a student in the 1920s. The corps existed side-by-side with a marching band, a color guard and a drill team (Xavier is a miliitary school).

Located in downtown Manhattan, the institution drew students from NY, NJ and CT, with the result that there were Xavier Bugle Corps members who also marched in Blessed Sac, Garfield, St. Catherine's, St. Vincent's, St. Patrick's...etc. The great Jim Donnelly taught bugles (and handed me my first "piston" soprano), and Bobby Thompson worked with the drum line. The drill instructors were regular Army DIs.

To my knowledge, there have never been very many HS drum corps compared to Legion, VFW. FD, PAL, church affilliated or Shriners.

Here is my letter I sent folks.....So I am a DCI fan, troll.....borg.......begger........ anyways, here it is.

Anne,

I recieve a link to your story about the North Port High School Alliance Drum and Bugle Corps. I thought it was nice to showcase a program from a high school of that nature. There was a statement in that article that bothers me. It is as follows:

"Owens said the truly impressive thing about the Corps' success is that they defeated 15 other full marching bands. The 78-member NPHS Corps remains the only drum and bugle corps in the entire United States.

"I've done extensive research, and can't find any others," Bradley said."

They are not the last drum and bugle corps. Here are links to various web sites to show that they are far from being the last corps in america. There are corps that remain with at least 60 years of traditiona nd excellence. If you would like any additional information, please feel free to contact someone at www.dci.org or log onto a forum at www.drumcorpsplanet.com and discuss this with other marching members and alumni. Also, there is a information database at www.corpsreps.com.

Thank you for your time,

Dan Goldman

I remember seeing a High School band at a contest about 10 years ago that competed in the AA division (40-79 playing members) that had @18 percussion and somewhere @ 55 brass (they also had 5-6 saxaphones :sshh: ) and no flutes or clarinets. Incidently, they also fielded something like 45 guard!!!

They definitely were able to compete volumewise with any of the AAA bands and most of the AAAA groups.

It's a mistake in by the newspaper. They obvioulsy left out "high school".

Owen Bradley (a great guy by the way) was my roomate in Tampa for a time, is a big fan of DCI and was a big fan of Suncoast Sound in particular. With Owen teaching at the school in Florida, it's no surprise to me that they are a smashing success.

If anyone wrote to the newspaper, please follow it up with a retration and appology. As usual, the DCP overhype machine goes into overdrive without actually researching what the problem was first...

Edited by Kamarag

It's a mistake in by the newspaper. They obvioulsy left out "high school".

Owen Bradley (a great guy by the way) was my roomate in Tampa for a time, is a big fan of DCI and was a big fan of Suncoast Sound in particular. With Owen teaching at the school in Florida, it's no surprise to me that they are a smashing success.

If anyone wrote to the newspaper, please follow it up with a retration and appology. As usual, the DCP overhype machine goes into overdrive without actually researching what the problem was first...

I don't think an apology or retraction is in order if the complaint was courteous. They did print something that was incorrect after all.

It may be too much to expect them to print a retraction about it though. Drum Corps is important to us but not so significant to the rest of the world and this newspaper undoubtably needs the space for other things.

I agree 100%.

I've said this when I first heard about Hawthorne Gold. It's the future of the activity. I would like to see more schools do things like this.

In TOB many years ago (early 80's) Pennsville had around 100 horns and maybe 3 woodwinds (or so it seemed) and a very large drum line. They were very dominate witht he sound they had.