(High School) Drum and Bugle Corps wins big

If someone else mentioned this, forgive my laziness for not reading the entire thread.

In the late 60s there was a high school band program from a small town in SC (I think it was called Loris) and their high school band doubled as a drum corps. They literally played indoor shows using band instruments, WW and all, then switched to all bugles (piston/rotor of the day) and did another show. I believe they even appeared at the annual corps concert in Carnegie Hall one year.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are quite a few "varsity" marching programs with conjunction with a regular marching band. Often times the varsity programs are drum and bugle corps.

Hi. I'm Ellen, and I'm a member of the NPHS Alliance Drum and Bugle Corps. Just to clear some things up, what is announced before each show is that we are the "only high school to have a Drum and Bugle Corps as it's only musical marching unit". We don't have any "main band" and "varsity band". Just the Corps.

Hi. I'm Ellen, and I'm a member of the NPHS Alliance Drum and Bugle Corps. Just to clear some things up, what is announced before each show is that we are the "only high school to have a Drum and Bugle Corps as it's only musical marching unit". We don't have any "main band" and "varsity band". Just the Corps.

Thanks for clearing that up, Ellen. :)

i don't think Hawthorne has a marching band either. just the corps.

I'm not so sure about that...Hawthorne does not restrict it's membership to Hawthorne HS for the corps....but they may have a standard marching band for school functions....if they or the school had a website we could find out...maybe I'll email the director and ask him to clarify...

I looked on Hawthorne HS's website and the only mention of the drum corps was in an archived news article about the opening of the school cafeteria. It read as follows:

New Cafeteria Open!!!

The Hawthorne High School Cafeteria opened on August 31st.

A large number of people attended the August 31st ribbon cutting ceremony that signified the opening of the Hawthorne High School Cafeteria. Many dignitaries were on hand, including Dr. Cheryl White, Superintendent of Centinela Valley Union High School District (CVUHSD), Ms. Angela Moeller and Ms. Jean DeSimone, Members of the CVUHSD Board of Education, and Mr. Fred Gomeztrejo, the new principal at Hawthorne High.

After a few brief speeches, which included the introduction of many of the people who helped to make the cafeteria possible, there was a performance by the Hawthorne Chamber Choir, the Hawthorne Dance Club, and the award winning Hawthorne Gold Drum and Bugle Corps.

Visitors were then invited into the cafeteria for a tour, where they were able to see the wonderful addition that this cafeteria will make on the Hawthorne Campus. Food was served, and it was an enjoyable occasion for all.

-----------------------------

There doesn't appear to be a music program at the school, at least, it isn't listed on the website.

Shane

If someone else mentioned this, forgive my laziness for not reading the entire thread.

In the late 60s there was a high school band program from a small town in SC (I think it was called Loris) and their high school band doubled as a drum corps. They literally played indoor shows using band instruments, WW and all, then switched to all bugles (piston/rotor of the day) and did another show. I believe they even appeared at the annual corps concert in Carnegie Hall one year.

Wayne,

Thanks for mentioning this... no it hasn't been discussed, and I am glad you brought it up. I grew up in SC in the 70s-80s and I have never even heard of the town of Loris.

Your story is fascinating, its too bad that their program wasn't still prospering during my time in the High School ranks, their presence would have been a welcome sight/sound. I am going to have to research this further.

As an aside, I am so proud that South Carolina does have a strong drum corps presence in that of Carolina Crown. More drum corps from the palmetto state would be welcomed,... especially DCA level, but Crown is a tremendous showcase of talent and energy for our activity.