Did Drum Corps Help You In The Military ?

With drum corps having so much discipline, how did it prepare you or did it prepare you for the military?

You thought those drum corps instructors were tough, how about having some drill sargent screaming right in you face?? :laugh::ph34r:

I never went the military route but did drum corps help you during your service ? B)

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the frigid winter of 1968 I was in Basic Training at Ft. Dix, NJ. Around the middle of the 3rd week, C Company held a "drill down" wherein the entire unit did close-order movement and rifle manual while platoon sergeants called commands.

The object was to select the best drilled soldier in the company who would then be given a week-end pass. Anyone who made a mistake in form, direction or timing was eliminated, did 50 pushups, and stood at attention while the process of culling continued.

Soon 1500 men were reduced to about 30. A new sergeant took over. Then it was 10, then 5 and finally only 2 of us were left. "Column left, march! Rear, march!, Left sholder, arms! Present, arms!' And so it went until we burned out 2 more drill sergeants, and no ticks. I remember thinking "There's no way I'm not getting that week-end pass. I've been in drum corps for 8 years (the first year on rifle) and I can march all day."

But the other guy wouldn't miss, either. The CO took over calling commands and was getting into it. So were our respective platoons on the sidelines, having been given At Ease so they could cheer.

Finally, when the captain's voice began to give out he called "Detail, halt!" He turned to the company and announced we'd both get the pass. The 2 of us were dismissed to our respective platoons. As we began to march back, the other guy asked (under his breath) "So, what drum corps are you from?" "The Sunrisers", I replied, "and you?" "St. Kevin's", he said.

Hey ironlips...

That is a very cool story...

;)

Shane B)

Great story! Almost sounds like it coulda been a scene from the Dirty Dozen or something.

I've often wondered when the drill down was first utilized in drum corps. My first exposure to it was when I was teaching Spirit in the fall of 1977. I believe Dave Bandy brought it with him from his days in the Anaheim Kingsmen.

I took it with me to Suncoast and elaborated on it to make it even more complex and challenging. It was a great way to simulate performance under pressure. There were times that I had to call 5 or 6 commands before giving the execute command just to get someone out. It would go something like "left flank right slide left to the rear double to the left flank right slide forward... Hut! Sometimes I'd even confuse myself and the last two guys would wind up doing two different things and end up going in different directions, but if I couldn't remember who was right and they both executed with confidence I'd let them both stay in.

After reading your story ironlips, and knowing that some of Anaheim's staff were ex-Marine's, I'm guessing this exercise is rooted in military basics, but can anyone tell me which drum corps was the first to incorporate drill downs and what was the year?

Edited by Russellrks

Yes...I was to be assigned to the Marine Corps Infantry until I auditioned during boot camp. After the 1982 DCI season, I was ready to do something else...but not 0311!

While I ended up in the Commandant's Own, some of the guys from my platoon in boot camp died in the Beruit bombimg. Drum corps probably saved my life.

Drum corps has helped me in some way in every aspect of my life including the military.

having marched in drum corps before going to bootcamp really helped me get through it. I was already used to "receiving instruction" in a loud manner. I knew how to PUSH through soreness and exhaustion.

The marching thing was cool, but my drill instructors all said I moved TOO smoothly and it didn't look like everybody else. They soon realized that I just marched better than the platoon.

Edited by Gene Bennett3rd

Russell,

I don't know if we'll get a definitive answer as to the who/when of drill downs entering drum corps, but I'm reasoably sure St. Vincent's Cadets (Bayonne) were utilizing them in the '50s. Their drill instructor was a former US Army radio operator who had served in Europe during WWII and won a Bronze Star for valor. His name was Sgt. Michael E. Petrone, known later in the drum corps community as "Mickey". He went on to help form DCA and served as its president until his death 2 years ago.

So let's say we can trace the drill down back to at least 1946 when Mickey taught Vinnie's. It's quite possible, of course, that this little exercise began before then with the post-WWI veteran's drum corps in the 1920s.

Frank Dorritie

having marched in drum corps before going to bootcamp really helped me get through it. I was already used to "receiving instruction" in a loud manner. I knew how to PUSH through soreness and exhaustion.

The marching thing was cool, but my drill instructors all said I moved TOO smoothly and it didn't look like everybody else. They soon realized that I just marched better than the platoon.

Did you by chance get your marching training in Dutch Boy ? :laugh: B)

Wow, In Spirit in 79 , Russell and Dave were the ones that I learned it from. After that, I went into the Navy. What comes around goes around. It helped alot. I always remember saying it would be a piece of cake after Spirit. Well, At least the marching was. Thanks Russell.