Pro-Woodwinds, Amps, Electronics, Anything...

Pro-Woodwinds, Amps, Anything...  

715 members have voted

1. 1. Are you pro-woodwinds/amps/electronics/etc.?

• Yes
    • No
    • Neither (Meaning you have mixed views or like only certain aspects of both sides)

Disagree. The Woodlands was outstanding (if that's who you're referring to...), I really enjoy the FBI show this year... Good music... The football game one was definately innovative... I thought it was quite well done... But that's just me...

The Woodlands would of been good if they let the music speak insteed of letting the girl do it for them. Can they play, yes? IMO they played the best. It was great music BUT they had to have a concept so.... Lets talk about numbers in the middle of some John Adams music. :rolleyes:

Avon and their football show was concept over music and visual. Their show this season was great music and some dang nice drill.

My problem with BOA is that it is concept first then most of the time the music dosen't even fit the concept, ala Woodlands.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you're just going to discount the rest of what I posted? That's some good selective reading.

Good job, you found 1 example... I'm talking LARGE SCALE... You're missing the ENTIRE point.

My problem with BOA is that it is concept first then most of the time the music dosen't even fit the concept, ala Woodlands.

I thought it fit really well... Minimalism... Stasis... Based around numbers and form... Worked perfectly for me... And the girl narrating didn't really bother me at all... Maybe a little excessive here an there, but for the most part, nope.

Interesting that the person that started this thread marched SCV 2004. That show is one of the best received and applauded shows in DCI over the past decade, maybe even longer. Why such a reaction??? Because it was in your face drum corps. That show was great up close on finals night!!! :rolleyes:

Save the quiet clapping (ala Cadets & Blue Devils 2005) for the local art gallery!!! b**bs

B)

Glad you liked the show...

But did I like Scheherazade more than SCV '97-'03? You make the guess...

Edited by SCVsopAaron

;-)

Glad you liked the show...

But did I like Scheherazade more than '97-'03... You make the guess...

I like those shows too...1999 being another in your face drum corps show...along with 2000 and even 2002, IMO. Didn't care much for 2001 personally...seemed like a young corps...could be wrong though!! :rolleyes:

Good job, you found 1 example... I'm talking LARGE SCALE... You're missing the ENTIRE point.

No, I'm not...you claim to want innovation.

The Cadets didn't provide that for a number of years in the early part of the decade. Great shows to be sure, but not something that turned the idiom on it's ear.

Now, then, if you're speaking about an overarching commitment to "zag when others zig", then, yes, the Cadets have been able to do that since 1983. However, most of the recent advances in the drum corps arena have come courtesy of other corps...the Blue Devils storytelling, the Cavaliers visual revolution, and so on.

And as far as summer band...if I can only find one, recent example of what happens when you attempt a regional summer marching circuit (that failed after one season)...then that probably says something about the real need for such a thing.

I like those shows too...1999 being another in your face drum corps show...along with 2000 and even 2002, IMO. Didn't care much for 2001 personally...seemed like a young corps...could be wrong though!! :huh:

:OT:

I'm a little off topic here....but SCV 1999...WOW :worthy: I just realized that I will be voting that one for the upcoming countdown this spring (I think they are suppose to do it again). I'll be campaigning for this show and two others in a few months....LOOK OUT!!! b**bs

Now, then, if you're speaking about an overarching commitment to "zag when others zig", then, yes, the Cadets have been able to do that since 1983. However, most of the recent advances in the drum corps arena have come courtesy of other corps...the Blue Devils storytelling, the Cavaliers visual revolution, and so on.

Blue Devils don't really innovate to me... They seem pretty safe... Jazz... Yup... They will probably play some more jazz this year, with an outstanding horn line playing blips and bleeps and a stellar guard... But storytellers? Um, no... I am bored by BD... Sorry.

I will give the Cavaliers some credit over the past 4-5 years... Starting in 2000... Their hornline hasn't gotten the scores they deserve and their visual package is ridiculous... Frameworks was amazing... Spin Cycle... pretty good... The last two shows weren't really my cup 'o tea, but their guard and visual design has always been outstanding...

I think the Cavies of the past two years have been trying to silence those "if you write your own music you are evil" critics!! :worthy: