Pro-Woodwinds, Amps, Electronics, Anything...

Pro-Woodwinds, Amps, Anything...  

715 members have voted

1. 1. Are you pro-woodwinds/amps/electronics/etc.?

• Yes
    • No
    • Neither (Meaning you have mixed views or like only certain aspects of both sides)

For the last few years, I've been VERY interested in the marching band/BOA arena... Perhaps even more so than drum corps... perhaps... First of all, you may flame me or whatever, but it's my personal opinion and preference... Sure, the drum corps acheive a greater degree of excellence with their shows, but after watching a LOT of bands this year, I see a dramatic shift in the marching arts idiom... Bands are doing things drum corps aren't even attempting... If you don't believe me, just go look... I dare you... You see a few bands here and there outright copying corps, but not to the extent you saw in the past... This may be a localized phenomenon, as I live in Texas, but I highly doubt it... Bands are getting extremely creative, exploring genres the corps haven't even touched... Electronics and woodwinds, which some see as the death of drum corps, are really making the BOA bands creative and more entertaining... The guards and show designs in bands are also more creative than all but the top 3 or 4 corps... WGI and BOA seem to be more in line than DCI and WGI or DCI and BOA... I'm not saying preservation is bad, I'm just saying that there could be SO much more... More people would be involved, more creative options could be explored... I see the evolution as a good thing... I'm not asking to start a debate, etc... [EDIT: I guess I am asking to start a debate... HAHA] I just want to see who agrees... Does anyone out there support my views? Am I one of the few? discuss.

Edited by SCVsopAaron

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with a lot of what you have to say. Imagine shows like Ronald Reagan and Westfield from 2003 (since you said you were from Texas) and what that kind of creativity and entertainment would look like adapted for drum corps. With some of the ideas that are tried out in the band world, it makes me wish band could reach the same performance level as corps, because combining the best of both worlds could produce some brilliant stuff.

I'm not sure what 'everything' would imply. Quieter woodwinds like flutes and clarinets probably wouldn't work, not in an activity dominated by such forceful hornlines. But the right kind of solo just might work. What I'd like to see though, would be some saxophones introduced. I'd love to see a corps like the Blue Devils play some of their jazz with an instrument that's always been a part of any big band.

Electronically, I think the one beat = one sound rule is good enough to make room for some select instruments, without compromising the fact that music is being produced by the members on the field. I'm thinking about malletkats and such. Again, I mention Reagan '03. There's some great effects that could be added with the right equipment.

I'm not asking to start a debate, etc... I just want to see who agrees... Does anyone out there support my views? Am I one of the few? discuss.

I answered Yes...but this old timer (marched in corps 64-72) is a minority on DCP, for sure.

My state is not a strong BOA-caliber state...the only NJ school that attended BOA GN did not come close to semis, but I agree with your concept in general. I strongly support the addition of everything you mention in DCI, preferably as a new division. But...even if not, I still support it.

Mike

Electronics and woodwinds, which some see as the death of drum corps, are really making the BOA bands creative and more entertaining

Disagree. A couple years back when Westfield put that rapper on the field...that was it for me.

And I go to band shows in Texas too, up here in Dallas anyway.

I would like to think the rapper wouldn't be the only reason you'd be turned off to band... Especially Westfield, who put out one of the most amazing products in the marching activity the very next year...

Also, I agree to some extent on the one beat one sound idea... I do like the sweeping pad fx and some of the cooler samples some synths can produce...

- Besides the use woodwinds and synth, what are the things that "drum corps aren't even attempting"?

- What genres aren't being touched by drum corps?

- How is electronics (not amps, mind you. I can handle that) making BoA bands "more creative and more entertaining?" Personally, I'd rather hear a pit playing on acoustic instrumentation than to see a kid go out, push a button and have an instant show with vocalization, faux-strings etc.

A couple years back when Westfield put that rapper on the field...that was it for me.

I'll agree that there have been some "misses" on the field. I can think of a few shows that tried, yet missed their mark to my eyes. But that's no reason for me to say that they should stop trying. Innovation will never happen if no one is ever willing to take that risk. It's a process of trial and error, and even if bands and corps keep erring, eventually a trial will get it right and we'll have shows like Garfield in the early 80's, or Star '93. I think success of that nature is worth the effort.

- Besides the use woodwinds and synth, what are the things that "drum corps aren't even attempting"?

Show designs are more complex in BOA and are not catered to an audience like so many dulled-down DCI shows... Intellectual shows aren't being attempted by any corps, with the exception of a small minority (Cadets '05, Star '93, SCV '97-'03)...

- What genres aren't being touched by drum corps?

Ever heard a corps play Aphex Twin, 50 Cent, Steve Reich, DJ Tiesto, Dave Matthews, etc? Those are some out there musicians, but it get's my point across... In the DCI world, it feels so limited... Classical or Jazz... That's really it... If you have itunes, look at your genre list... There are lots, huh? How many have you seen a corps do versus a band? Yup.

- How is electronics (not amps, mind you. I can handle that) making BoA bands "more creative and more entertaining?" Personally, I'd rather hear a pit playing on acoustic instrumentation than to see a kid go out, push a button and have an instant show with vocalization, faux-strings etc.

I guess this is where personal opinion and preference come into play... I'm not saying EVERYONE likes it more, but man there are some COOL things bands are doing these days... Watch Ronald Reagan and tell me you're not entertained by their intricate synth playing at the beginning of the show... Could that effect be done without the synths and on mallet percussion? sure. But it wouldn't be near as cool or effective? probably not... And the woodwinds just add another color to the ensemble...

Edited by SCVsopAaron

I would like to think the rapper wouldn't be the only reason you'd be turned off to band...

Who says I got turned off to band? I was IN band all of high school! I'm a music major now at UNT, I'm at band shows all the time!