Can a top rated band beat a....top......21 corps

Some of you are too optimistic.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could a top rated band beat a top drum corps?

YES! They could win DCI IF...

They competed in summer.

They switched their instrumentation to Brass mouthpiece instruments.

And joined the Cadets, Blue Devils, Cavaliers or Phantom Regiment! :D

There you go :D

Could a top rated band beat a top drum corps?

YES! They could win DCI IF...

They competed in summer.

They switched their instrumentation to Brass mouthpiece instruments.

And joined the Cadets, Blue Devils, Cavaliers or Phantom Regiment! :D

hehe b**bs

i do think that the quality of some bands are going up. but the attitude of both is what makes the biggest difference outside of the instruments. i know while i was in highschool(not too long ago) i would get really frustrated at the fact that it seemed like alot of the people didn't care. it woudl get alittle chilly and people would complain about it. if it rained forget about it would almost hit the point of out and out cryings. if someone said something negative they would whine about never hearing anything positive. late getting on the field either at the start of practice or after breaks. whine about how long we were practicing. and woudl just kind of walk and not march. there was no good attitude or disopline. and i think that is one of the reason that i have stuck around in drum corp is because of the disopline, attitude, drive, and desire to push to that next level. something i didn't see in that many people in my marching band. and something i don't see out of alot of members in most bands. it seems like most kids are in bands just to be part of a group. they see it as more of a social event and not what the ones who are serious about it see it as. i ike marching band. i give credit where it is due, and i respect the work that is done. but the people who goto corp go because they want that drive, determination, disopline, and attitude. they want to be with a group of people who want the same thing and will push themselves to and past their limits just to prove they can and because they want to prove they are on the top of their game on every level.

and i think just because of the mind sets of a marching band and drum corp. that a marching band couldn;t come near most of of the top 12, and the lower part of the pack i think would still be able to handle a top rated marching band. with little to no troubble. do i think if you were to take lower placing corps and top ranked bands and put them against each other it would be intersesting to see? heck yea. i would like to see that. but do i think the bands would have much of a chance i doubt it. but anything can happen(and has happened) but reality migt just be that the band while it might come close will still get beat.

Lancaster Catholic? Really? I've never seen them, but I didn't know they were THAT good. I've followed TOB for a few years and noticed they've won the past two years, but I'm not sure that there are many bands in TOB that could match up with the top bands in BOA. Same goes for any bands in USSBA.

I hate agreeing with that but it's true. Most of the top 5 could possibly compete, but I've only seen top 5 in group 1, like ... 30 members. But what they do with 30 people is amazing.

Heh, I have to think it would help. Perhaps then the drum corps "elitists" would rethink their position, and finally give respect to an activity that is more similar to theirs than they would ever admit. There's no mechanism for direct comparison between DI corps and the top BOA groups, but if it could ever happen, we mind get to see some perspectives change, and some minds open up. :)

But drum corps would still be better, because there would be no double reed players standing on tarps playing into microphones.

edit: Are tarps required in BOA, by the way? Last time I went to Grand Nationals, it sure seemed that way! B)

Edited by Orpheus