What would you like to know?

Cainan

So I am noticing that this forum is starting off a bit slow. I figured I would try to "steer" a discussion by asking what you would like to know about the activity outside the USA. After all, the "I" in DCI does stand for international. Who's hot and who's not in the UK. What about the senior scene in Europe. What do they do on the sub-continent? How about asia. One thing that is neat about music is that it IS truely the worlds language. So rack your brains and ask away. I may not know the answers myself, but I will certainly do my best to find out for you.

I'll try and answer these as well as i can...

For Open Class (the top division) , i guess the average corps size is about 45-50 members. Usually around 20 brass, 9-10 field percussion, 6 in the pit and about 10 guard (obvously numbers do fluctuate)..

The number of members has gradually gone down since the 80's where many corps were 100+ strong, however the demand on members and individual technique has gone up ten-fold...

This year there were 12 Open Class corps, the junior class and cadets class i guess had similar numbers, but amazingly only 1 A-Class corps.

There are both G and Bb corps, this year a Bb corps won the championship (Southern Aurora) and a G corps won high brass (Senators).

The competition season is totally different to the states. In England there is only a 6-week break in the summer so there really isn't enough time for a full tour. Instead corps rehearse and compete on weekends, with the top corps taking a week off school/college/work for a week before finals to clean things up...

Similar to the "super-6" in DCI, there are certain corps in DCUK which are really in a league of their own.. In the 80's we had the Dagenham Crusaders (who made a brief DCI apperance), Conquest Alliance, Southern Knights (who made a brief DCA appaerance) and the Blue Eagles (who also did DCI one year). In the 90's the 2 dominant corps were Blue Eagles (7 time DCUK champions) and the Senators (the only corps still active to have won more than 1 DCUK title (currently 4)). Currently the top DCUK corps are Senators, Southern Aurora, Cadence and i guess Encore can now be added to the list...

Hope this has been some help...

• 2 weeks later...

I would say that the best comparison for DCUK corps is that they are very much like Division III DCI corps in size. The level of the corps range all over the spectrum, but I would say that Southern Aurora, Encore, Cadence and the rest of the top 4 or 5 at DCUK would represent themselves well at the DCI Division III Championships. The tour is much like that of the Garden State Circuit in that it is a primarily weekend activity over here. Very entertaining and a lot of fun to watch.

• 2 months later...

I've got one...

Need to know the worldwide distribution of drum corps (countries/languages) for a project. I've looked on the DCI website and found: English (US, Canada, UK, South Africa), French (Canadian), Dutch, German, Swedish, Chinese (Taiwan), and Japanese.

Am I missing any?

• 1 month later...

Last season was the first competion series for Drum Corps Germany.

The Starriders Drum & Bugle Corps won the DCG Champion in Open Class.

They performed a show called "Artistry in Jazz" with Artistry in Rhythm, Channel One Suite, Pegasus and Ballet in Brass.

further details you find on

www.drumcorps-germany.de

or

www.starriders.de

Oliver Grimm