Church Music and Drum Corps...

I know a couple hymns that would make good warmup pieces- particularly "All Creatures of the earth and sky"- that would sound great with a full brassline doing all the harmonies.

AKA "Old 100th" or "Doxology"?

I arranged it based, in verses, on both the modern and a 1600's version for the Kilties to play at my wedding two years ago. It was pretty cool.

Lutheran Vanguard (Wisconsin band) has played an arrangement of it. Beautiful.

On an old Amy Grant Chrismas CD is a version of Bach's "Jesu, Joy..." (all instrumental) with a second half that is sort of a "Copland meets Bach" thing that for years I have dreamed of Troopers or SCV doing.

Edited by dannyboy

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had never heard Salvation is Created played in drum corps until we played it at the ECJ open house. Pretty cool. Who knows, maybe a field warm up?

Spirit also played several pieces in '93 from the Christian group "Take 6". If you're unfamiliar with their early a capella stuff you gotta get a copy. Really tight jazz chords. The last song on their first album (Let the words of My Mouth) would make an excellent warm-up.

Take 6 early A Capella stuff is just awesome. Definitely worth listening to.

I had never heard Salvation is Created played in drum corps until we played it at the ECJ open house. Pretty cool. Who knows, maybe a field warm up?

Spirit played it as a warmup for numerous years (20+?), and it might be back as the warmup this year.

"Make His Praise Glorius" is by Sandi Patti, a pretty famous Christian singer.

"Jesus Christ Superstar" is about as church music as "Mary Had A Little Lamb" is speed metal. Puhleeeeeeeeze....

Sorry Ryan, we sang music from "Jesus Christ Superstar" in my Church.........

"I don't know how to love him"

~Two more good ones from SPIRIT~

Precious Lord, take my hand

God must be tryin to tell you somethin'

Troopers did "He's got the whole world, in his hands"

Edited by Cop

Synagogues too?

How about the Blue Stars of 1977 who used Jewish music to great effect? Shema (pronounced sheh-MAH) is one of Judaism's oldest prayers and is central to the weekly liturgy (though not necessarily with this melody). They also played Hatikvah (which means "the hope" and is the Israeli national anthem) as well as Hava Nagilah of Jewish wedding fame. It doesn't show up in their repetoire, but I'm told they also played a song (maybe their warm up or something?) that translates to Jerusalem of Gold. That song, an anthem of sorts for Israel in the Six Day War of 1967, is a beautiful, lyrical ballad.

Then there's SCV and Fiddler on the Roof, which of course is more cultural than religious.

Back to Christianity and the church, the alternate melody in Jupiter from the Planets is a famous English hymn. Cavies used it to great effect in 1995 in their Planets championship show.

HH