Church Music and Drum Corps...

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In 1993, the Cadets played "On a Hymnsong of Philip Bliss" by David Holsinger which was a piece written for Symphonic Band and is very popular among high schools. Obviously, Holsinger is referring in the piece to the Hymn writer Philip Bliss and "It Is Well With My Soul".

Personally, I never made the connection myself until now. I have heard this hymn in Church many times. Now I realize who Philip Bliss is... :)

Holsinger composes a LOT of sacred music...actually was his main "thing" before his popular concerty band charts.

Mike

Also, GLAD's A Capella Gershwin CD was the basis for Glassmen's '96 show (but they didn't make finals). That is also a great CD to have, as well as all of their a capella stuff, The Symphony Project, and other CD's that had instrumental accompaniment. A very talented group!

Take Six was mentioned in an earlier post. I agree - their early CD's were very fresh and are a must have!

Militant Lutheranism. I'm all for it!

I think "Onward christian soldiers" better fits that description :P

Nobody listed Battle Hymn????

Star's 1990 show is part of "Belshazzar's Feast" by William "Crown Imperial" Walton. It's a MAJOR choral piece--a major work, and it deals with the Book of Daniel (if I'm remembering my notes correctly). So not "churchy" in the sense of current Christian rock or hymns, but based on the Bible.