Cadets of Bergen County

I know the cadets are from PA now, but I marched in 2003 and I was the only member from Bergen County when we still were from Bergen County (Bergenfield, NJ) The marching bands in Bergen County are some of the worst in the country, but it still shocks me that one of the richest on most densely populated counties in the country cant produce more then one member for a world famous corps. I know when the Cadets were in still in North Jersey rehearsing they were less then 5 minutes from my house, it was awesome. Is there anyone currently in the corps from Bergen County?

- Steven Behnke

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One more thing, what happened to a corps that was 99 percent from Bergen County (Garfield, NJ Cadets) If that was not clear. They did that on their 3 Peat.

If they were 99 percent from Bergen County during their 3-peat. I must know the 1 percent that wasn't because he was from Tennessee.

Edit: nevermind, I got my years mixed up. The person I know wasn't during the 3peat years, he was member in '87.

Edited by gbass598

If they were 99 percent from Bergen County during their 3-peat. I must know the 1 percent that wasn't because he was from Tennessee.

Edit: nevermind, I got my years mixed up. The person I know wasn't during the 3peat years, he was member in '87.

Im sorry, maybe not 99 percent, I know that was the time when they started winning they started to recruit outside of BC.

During the years I taught there (1993-1997) If I remember correctly,,,,, We never had more than two people from Bergen County in the corps at the same time.

(The Mello Line in 1993 for instance was mostly from Canada and England.)

Replying to the other post......in the 1980's I would doubt if it was 90+% during the three peat years, but most corps of that era and earlier were mostly local based, but from what I understand....even in 1980, the Garfield Cadets had a fairly large number of people from the deep south in the corps.

If I'm not mistaken, I'm pretty sure that before the 1980 season when the Garfield Cadets were on the verge of folding, George Hopkins and some other staff members at the time went on a pretty extensive recruiting tear in the south and filled the ranks that way. The corps, who at the time was a borderline DCI finalist, never came close to missing finals again.

great question. i was the only one from bergen county in 99 and im pretty sure i was the only one in 2000 as well. we had one other from west milford, just outside bergen county. as you said, there are very few top notch bands in the area, and those few have multiple camps over the summer that preclude a lot of cadet hopefuls from being able to tour. i think in general that north jersey is more geared towards concert music--being that so many talented players come from this area--notably tenafly, demarest, teaneck, and randolph, though thats closer to central jersey. you would think though that there would be cadets from bergen county that went off to college before they marched---but even that was not the case in the years that i marched there.

i recall being very surprised that i was the only cadet 'of bergen county'--but certainly DCI in general has drawn a much larger member base since the traditional day. remember--drum corps evolved from small local VFAs which, obviously, and perhaps unfortunately, is no longer the case. members did not fly in from japan and england to audition for Holy Name.

so to answer your question--i have no idea.

Edited by KidB

Cadets haven't been The Cadets of Bergen County for a while, and that includes '03. All the years I've been there since '01 we've simply been The Cadets. I lucked out because my rookie year was the last year that the jackets say "Of Bergen County" on them. As for the corps now, I'm sure there isn't anyone from Bergen county and only a few from New Jersey. In fact, states like Texas and South Carolina probably have better representation now. Pennsylvania still holds its own though, being that the corps is from there now.

(The Mello Line in 1993 for instance was mostly from Canada and England.)

Lee Beddis (Canadian) was on snare for the perfect drum score, then if I'm not mistaken, half the drumline was Canadian in the early - mid 90's.

most corps have a pretty high texas population since they hold auditions in texas quite a lot and texas marching bands are pretty big. BD tends to be more local/california based because of how early they start practicing intensely (though i hear their attendance policy/practice schedule has changed this year)... i know someone from massachusetts that marched and had to move out to Cali in January so he could attend all the camps. Still, most DCI corps recruit heavily from outside of their area.